- Amherst MagazineAmherst Magazine
Built in 1870 out of local stone and a college president's son's hope for "a proper church," Stearns Steeple and its nine bells are all that remain of of the College Church. Dismantled in 1949, the church left its most striking feature quietly embedded between James and Stearns Halls. The New York Times wrote, though, that "at intervals no one seems to be able to predict, chimes still resound from the steeple in memory of the college's Civil War dead." Samuel Masinter '04 joins Aaron Hayden for a climb into the belfry to find out why the steeple still stands.