Navigation

Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
 
 
 
 
 
1
 
2
 
3
 
4
 
5
 
6
 
7
 
8
 
9
 
10
 
11
 
12
 
13
 
14
 
15
 
16
 
17
 
18
 
19
 
20
 
21
 
22
 
23
 
24
 
25
 
26
 
27
 
28
 
29
 
30
 
31
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Event type

Event Calendar

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Wed, Aug 27, 2014

Inside the Emily DIckinson Museum

Emily Dickinson Museum Architectural Tour

Although the Homestead (1813) and The Evergreens (1856) are best known for their association with poet Emily Dickinson and her intriguing family, the two houses also offer a fascinating portrait of more than 100 years of architectural history in New England.

Join us to sharpen your skills at "reading" buildings and find out how (and why) these two historic houses have changed - or not - over time. By taking a closer look, we can learn much about popular 19th century styles and about how homeowners made decisions about home "improvements." The tour will conclude with several of Emily Dickinson's house-related poems.
Wednesdays at 3 pm; June through August, 2014

Location: The Emily Dickinson Museum

Fee: $5/person if combined with a museum house tour (Emily Dickinson's World or "This Was a Poet"); $10 for adults; $9 for seniors; $5 for students K-college; free to museum members. Participants will receive a complimentary copy of the museum's new printed architecture guide.

NOTE: The tour is of the exterior of the buildings only. Content will include references to Emily Dickinson but should not be viewed as a substitute for one of the museum's interior tours that focus directly on the poet and her family.

Ongoing Events

Orientation 2014

Designed for first-year and transfer students, the Orientation Program supports the exploration of a range of academic and co-curricular opportunities available at Amherst. Visit the Orientation website for specifics and a daily calendar of events.

Schubert Sound Installation at the Mead

Schubert Sound Installation
August 26–September 28, 2014

In conjunction with the Amherst Schubert Project, the Mead presents a “Schubert Sound Installation” in the wood-paneled Rotherwas Room.

Five speakers, positioned on stands in a large oval configuration, each play one of the five parts of Schubert's Cello Quintet (1828), previously recorded by the Brentano Quartet and Michael Kannen, director of chamber music at the Peabody Institute of The Johns Hopkins University. As listeners move from one speaker to the next, the building blocks of Schubert’s composition can be heard individually, in various combinations or all together.