Emily Dickinson Museum Featured in Preservation Magazine
July 20, 2006
Director of Media Relations
AMHERST, Mass.—“Emily Enshrined,” a story in the July/August 2006 issue of Preservation magazine, features the Emily Dickinson Museum. Written by Richard Todd, the article focuses on The Evergreens, the home of the poet’s brother and sister-in-law, Austin and Susan Dickinson.
One of the main challenges facing the museum is restoration of The Evergreens to its Dickinson-era luster. The tangled family web of literary talent, human relationships and conflicting loyalties has kept the home and its contents mostly untouched since the ownership of Martha Dickinson Bianchi, the poet’s niece and Austin and Susan’s daughter. The museum has recently completed a master plan and quietly raised more than $700,000 to lay the groundwork for future restoration efforts.
A 1962 graduate of Amherst College and formerly an editor at the Atlantic Monthly, Richard Todd is a contributing editor to Preservation. His essays and cultural reportage have appeared in The Atlantic, Harper’s, The New York Times and other publications. Preservation magazine is the magazine of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, the only national, private organization chartered by Congress to encourage public participation in the preservation of sites, buildings and objects significant in American history.
The Emily Dickinson Museum, made up of The Dickinson Homestead and The evergreens, two historic houses in Amherst, is devoted to the story and legacy of poet Emily Dickinson and her family. The Dickinson Homestead was the birthplace and residence of the poet (1830-1886). The Evergreens was the 1856 home of the poet’s brother and sister-in-law, Austin and Susan Dickinson. Merged into a single museum in 2003, both properties are owned by the Trustees of Amherst College. For more information, contact the museum at 413/542-8161 or visit the museum’s Website.