- Sexual Respect and Title IXSexual Respect and Title IX
- Title IX Explained
- What to Do if You Experience Sexual Misconduct
- Whom Can I Call?
- Things to Consider
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Sexual Respect Resources
- Sexual Respect and Title IX Events
- Sexual Misconduct and Harassment Policy
- Checklist of Action Taken
- Statements to the Community
- Suggestions and Stories
The Title IX Team
Title IX Coordinator,
Title IX Committee Chair
The Title IX team is formally charged with advising the President of the College on matters relating to the College's compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. These deal with nondiscrimination on the basis of sex in education programs and activities receiving or benefiting from federal financial assistance.
Specifically, the team is charged with monitoring, evaluating, and determining if sex equity exists in the areas of Financial Aid, Student Housing, Admissions, Intercollegiate Athletics, and Compensation, and with coordinating the College’s efforts to comply with and carry out its responsibilities under Title IX and its implementing regulations, including the investigation of Title IX complaints.
The Title IX team, led by the Title IX Coordinator, ensures consistent application of the policy to all individuals and allows the College to respond promptly and equitably to eliminate the misconduct, prevent its recurrence and address its effects. The Title IX team coordinates the review, investigation and resolution of the report and ensures that all appropriate interim measures are implemented. The Title IX team is an interdepartmental team and consists of the Title IX Coordinator, Deputy Title IX Coordinator(s), the Dean of Stuidents, the Dean of Student Conduct, the Chief of Amherst College Police, the Chief Policy Officer and General Counsel, the Dean of Faculty, the Director of Human Resources and others as may be necessary.
College policy requires that any employee who receives a report of sexual misconduct bring the report to the Title IX Coordinator or a member of the Title IX team. The Title IX team oversees the resolution of reported misconduct through the College's complaint process. The process will be determined by the role of the Respondent:
- Complaints against students will be resolved by the Student Complaint Process.
- Complaints against employees will be resolved by the Employee Complaint Process.
- Complaints against faculty will be resolved by the Faculty Complaint Process.
Each process is guided by the same principles of fairness and respect for all parties. Resources are available for both students and employees, whether as Complainants or Respondents, to provide guidance throughout the investigation and resolution of the complaint.
- Laurie Frankl, Title IX Coordinator
- Lisa Rutherford, Chief Policy Officer and General Counsel
- John Carter, Chief of Amherst College Police
- Jim Larimore, Dean of Students
- Susie Mitton Shannon, Interim Dean of Student Conduct
- Amanda Collings Vann, Sexual Respect Educator
- Greg Call, Dean of Faculty
- Maria-Judith Rodriguez, Director of Human Resources