A student-to-faculty ratio of eight to one, and an average class size of 16, enable Amherst students to interact closely with professors, who are internationally known scholars, researchers, authors and artists.
What does learning look like at Amherst?
It's personal, dynamic and rigorous.
What do we mean?
We mean students
- making discoveries that shake the foundations of physics.
- writing and performing in plays under the guidance of one of the foremost playwrights in the English language and later going on to write for network and cable TV.
- working side-by-side with their professor, an expert on capital punishment, to research and write a book about the death penalty that receives global media coverage and is cited in a U.S. Supreme Court dissent.
Check out faculty profiles and stories about our faculty and students.
What kind of education can you create here?
- Our open curriculum is unlike the curriculum found almost anywhere else. You’ll shape your own educational experience in collaboration with a faculty adviser.
- We offer 38 majors, plus the ability to design your own. Many students major in more than one field.
- Our curriculum boasts more than 850 courses, with new classes added every year, and is created and taught by preeminent scholars who are dedicated teachers and mentors.
- Through the Five College Consortium, you can choose from more than 6,000 courses for credit at four nearby schools: Smith, Mount Holyoke and Hampshire Colleges, as well as the University of Massachusetts Amherst. These schools are linked by a free bus system and are within 10 miles of Amherst's campus. The Amherst College Course Scheduler and Five College Course Catalog have full course listings.
- Amherst provides opportunities, and funding, for you to pursue academic research and collaborate on faculty research projects.
- You can do in-depth work that is often of graduate-level significance. Honors theses take many forms, including research papers, novels, plays, musical scores and art installations.
At Amherst, you can succeed
Amherst students graduate.
Our graduation rate of 96 percent is one of the highest in the country.
Amherst graduates thrive.
Amherst’s innovative Career Center will work closely with you to prepare you for life after graduation, explore career and internship options, network with accomplished alumni and act to pursue your dreams.