CES Eligibility Requirements
Eligibility Requirements for CES Applicants
- Current first-years, sophomores, and juniors who have secured an internship may apply for the Civic Engagement Scholars program. Students must be enrolled full-time at the College in the semester they apply for the program, or they must be on an approved study abroad or domestic educational leave program.
- The proposed internship should be related to public service and serve the greater good of the community.
- The proposed public service internship should be connected to your academic and professional goals.
- Your proposed internship must have a direct supervisor.
- The internship must consist of at least 300 work hours and is at least eight weeks in durration.
International Travel Eligibility
If you are interested in going abroad please note that we are very intentional about placing students in organizations where they can have the greatest positive impact. Not knowing the language or the culture of the host country, for example can seriously limit your ability to provide the organization with what it may need.
- You should meet with a CCE staff member in the fall to discuss your proposed idea. Do not wait until the application deadline to submit an idea that requires travel abroad.
Your application will be greatly enhanced if:
- You have traveled abroad before and have knowledge of assimilating to a new culture.
- You speak the language of the host country or organization.
- You have been to the host country before.
- You have had experience with the proposed organization before.
Your application will not be considered if you are proposing:
- An organization that charge you a fee to particpate.
- An experience in which you do not have an on-site supervisor that assigns you work, evaluates your work and meets with you regularly.
- An experience that you have not thought out and/or have not prepared yourself for academically and emotionally.
- Research that isn't engaged research. Students interested in summer research funding should click here and follow the instructions under Summer Funding. Note that if you receive research funding, you are not eligible for Civic Engagement Scholars.