How to Apply
To apply for consideration for Davis Projects for Peace, follow these steps:
- Submit a Preliminary Project Overview by Thursday, October 31 at 9:00 a.m. As part of the preliminary application, you will need to have a faculty reference.
- By Thursday, November 7, Janet Bordwin Kannel will contact you if you are selected to submit a full proposal.
- Submit a Final Project Application AND email 3 documents (statement, budget and resume see below) by Thursday, November 21 at 9:00 a.m.
One finalist and one alternate Amherst College project will be submitted to Davis Projects for Peace for consideration. Projects will be enacted during the summer of 2014. Interviews will be granted in December with finalists chosen before the end of the semester.
Amherst College will give priority to projects in the Pioneer Valley and New England; as well as projects that build upon the student's previous work or internship experience.
If you are invited to submit a final proposal, follow these guidelines as you prepare your application:
For your project to be considered for Projects for Peace, you (as an individual or a team of students) must:
- Prepare a 1-2 page written statement describing your project
- Create a project budget
- Create a personal resume
All 3 of these documents should be emailed directly to Janet Bordwin Kannel at email@example.com.
Also, you need to complete the the Final Project Application webform by the deadline.
The written statement should describe the project: who, what, where, and how. It should also include your expected outcomes and prospects for future outcomes. The statement should not exceed two pages. In the heading of your statement, you are required to include:
- name of the participating institution (Amherst College)
- name of all student participants
- the title of your project
- the location where the project will be performed
The budget should be no more than one page and must be a separate document.
Proposals should include pre-approval of all involved parties and organizations involved in the project. Make sure you talk directly with any people or organizations that you may be affiliated with.
If you have questions, contact Janet Bordwin Kannel at firstname.lastname@example.org. Communication between applicants and the Davis UWC Scholars office is prohibited.