FIVE COLLEGE LATIN AMERICAN, CARIBBEAN, AND LATINO STUDIES CERTIFICATE PROGRAM
The Five College Latin American, Caribbean, and Latino Studies Certificate is issued by the Five College Council on Latin American Studies. To earn a Certificate, students must complete successfully a minimum of eight one-semester courses selected from five different areas, fulfill a language requirement, and achieve at least a grade of B in the minimum number of courses taken towards the certificate. Students are encouraged to plan their program of study in consultation with the Amherst College Latin American, Caribbean, and Latino Studies Certificate advisor. Completed applications for the certificate must be signed by the home campus advisor, who will bring the application to the Five College Latin American Studies Certificate Program committee.
Requirements: The eight one-semester courses must be taken within the following five areas and the student must earn a B or better in each course:
- A broadly based, introductory course on the social and political history of Latin America;
- One course in the social sciences that focuses substantially on Latin America (including courses in anthropology, economics, geography, political science, etc.);
- One course in the humanities that focuses substantially on Latin America (including courses in art, art history, dance, folklore, literature, music, philosophy, religion, or theater, etc.);
- Four other courses that should be more advanced and more specific in focus
- One upper-level seminar in Latin America and/or U.S. Latinos
- Those students who begin their studies during or after fall 2013 will be required to have, within all of their courses, at least one course in Latino Studies and at least one course in Latin American or Caribbean Studies
- At least one course must be taken at one of the institutions in the Five College consortium other than the student's home campus.
Language requirement: Proficiency through second-year college level in an official (other than English) or indigenous language of Latin America and the Caribbean.
During 2017-18 the Amherst faculty advisor is Professor Solsiree del Moral of the American Studies Department and Black Studies Department. For more information see the Latin American Studies website at www.fivecolleges.edu/sites/ latinamericanstudies.