"Health Care Today: Research, Teaching, Clinical Applications and Commercialization of Discoveries"
The Gerald R. Fink '62 Bioscience Symposium for 2014 will be held on January 16 in Stirn Auditorium at Amherst College.
The following speakers are expected-
- George W. Carmany III ’62, hospital chairman, health care investor and member of the Advisory Committee on Education of the Harvard Medical School.
- Gerald Fink ’62, founding member of the Whitehead Institute and the American Cancer Society Professor of Genetics at MIT.
- Ginger Graham, president and CEO of Two Trees Consulting and the former CEO of Amylin Pharmaceuticals; Group Chairman of Guidant Corporation; Division President at Eli Lilly; and former faculty member at Harvard Business School.
- Tyler Jacks is a professor of biology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, an HHMI investigator and director of the David Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research.
- Peter Millard ’76 is a professor at the University of New England. He has spent half of his career living and working in Zimbabwe and most recently Mozambique, specializing in primary care in global health, the care of patients with HIV/AIDS and teaching medical students in Africa. He has also practiced primary care in Bangor, Maine.
- Robert Sauer '69, Salvador E. Luria Professor of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and former chairman of the Biology Department at MIT.
- Carolyn Sufrin ’97, specialist in obstetrics and gynecology and medical anthropology at the University of California, San Francisco. She specializes in reproductive health care for marginalized populations, including incarcerated women.
This symposium will be an opportunity to talk with alums and guests and make some important contacts. Further information will be posted as it becomes available.