- Dean of the FacultyDean of the Faculty
- Academic Calendars
- Faculty Committees
- Faculty Handbook, Policies, and Procedures
- Faculty Handbook 2007/2008
- Faculty Handbook 2008/2009
- Electronics Policy
- I. Introduction
- II. Organization of the College
- III. Faculty Appointments, Tenure, Promotions, Leaves, and Terminations
- IV. Faculty Responsibilities, Regulations, Meetings, and Committees
- IX. The Folger Shakespeare Library
- Mission Statement
- The Handbook: Purpose and Provisions
- V. Salaries and Fringe Benefits
- A. Salaries and Payroll
- B. Grants and Allowances
- C. Fringe Benefit Programs for Full-time Faculty
- 1. Housing Program
- 10. Benefits During Sabbatic Leave and Leave of Absence
- 11. Family and Medical Leave
- 12. Moving Expenses
- 13. Grant-in-Aid Program
- 14. The Amherst Plan
- 15. Unemployment Compensation
- 16. Computer Purchases
- 2. Retirement
- 3. Group Health & Dental Insurance
- 4. Employee Assistance Plan
- 5. Group Life Insurance
- 6. Long Term Disability Insurance
- 7. Workers' Compensation Insurance
- 8. Death Benefits
- 9. Travel and Sojourn Insurance
- D. Fringe Benefit Programs for Part-time Regular Faculty
- VI. College Facilities and Services
- VII. Student Life and Welfare
- VIII. General Information
- X. The Doshisha University
- XI. Appendix
- Faculty Handbook 2009/2010
- Faculty Handbook 2010/2011
- Departmental Staffing Requirements for 2015-2016
- Faculty Handbook
- Faculty Hiring
- Faculty Housing
- Faculty Meetings
- Faculty Mentoring
- Funding for Faculty
- Funding for Students
- General Information
- Information about Reappointment, Tenure, and Promotion
- Information for Department Chairs
- New Faculty
- Sexual Respect and Title IX
- Staff and Office Information
- Teaching and Advising Program
- Technology Support for Teaching and Research
Group Health and Dental Insurance
Regular faculty are eligible to select one of the health care programs offered by the College.
Faculty may select individual or family coverage. Faculty enrolling in a plan will also be included in the Dental Plan in a corresponding individual or family contract. Specific plan details, current rate information and enrollment forms are available in Human Resources Office.
Family coverage may include a spouse, unmarried children under age 19 and children who a full-time students until age 25 for health, age 23 for dental, or until they are no longer full-time students, whichever is earlier. Dependent coverage after age 19 is not automatic. To avoid loss of coverage, the Human Resources Office must be notified of student status 30 days prior to the dependent's 19th birthday. A new enrollment form will be required for continued coverage.
The current College contribution to a full-time Faculty member's premium is equal to the current rate of a single plan. An additional College contribution is made towards family coverage. Premium payments by the College are prorated for regular Faculty members working on a part-time basis.
Changes in plan participation, other than as a result of marriage, childbirth or adoption, generally may be made during the annual open enrollment period.
Health insurance for active faculty members over age 65 and their spouses remains the same as it was prior to age 65. The College recommends that employees contact the Social Security Administration three months before turning 65. However, it is not necessary to enroll in Medicare Parts A and B until separation from the College.
In certain instances where coverage under the group health plans would otherwise end, the College offers faculty members and their families the opportunity for a temporary extension of health coverage at group rates with the faculty member paying the full cost of coverage. Further information about continuation of coverage (COBRA) is available in the Human Resources Office.
Upon retirement, at or after age 62 with 10 years of service, regular faculty members who began employment prior to July 1, 2003 are eligible for certain post-retirement health care coverage through the College. Please consult with the Office of Human Resources regarding your retiree health benefit.
Retiree health benefits for faculty hired on or after July 1, 2003 are currently under review. This website will be updated when the new plan is available.
Visiting faculty, full- or part-time, are eligible for health insurance.