As part of Amherst’s efforts to support the research and professional development of its tenure-track faculty, funding is available through the External Mentoring Program to all tenure-track faculty members to establish and/or advance a mentoring relationship with a scholar outside the college. All tenure-track faculty members who have completed their first year at the college are eligible to participate in this program. During the period after the first year at Amherst and prior to the academic year in which the tenure review takes place, funding of $1,000 a year, for up to three years, is available to provide stipends to a mentor of the Amherst faculty member’s choice. An additional $1,000 will be made available during the three-year period to support meetings, travel, and/or other activities associated with the mentoring relationship.
Faculty members who wish to apply for external mentoring support should submit a one-page letter describing their need for a mentor, along with the name and CV of the proposed individual, to Austin Sarat in the Office of the Dean of the Faculty.
- Tenure-track faculty members may have college-supported external mentors any time after the Amherst faculty member’s first year of teaching at Amherst and prior to the academic year in which they are considered for tenure.
- External mentors should be experts in the field(s) of scholarship that is being pursued by the tenure-track faculty member.
- Faculty members seeking an external mentor are responsible for identifying appropriate colleagues to serve in that capacity. The expectation is that the mentor will offer advice and support, with a focus on the Amherst faculty member’s scholarship and professional development.
- The College will provide a stipend of $1,000 annually to the external mentor for a period of up to three years. At the end of the academic year in which faculty work with a mentor, a completed W-9 form and a Request for Payment of Services Form should be mailed to Marie Fowler in the Dean of the Faculty's office for approval and processing.
- An additional $1,000 will be made available during the three-year period to support meetings, travel, and/or other activities associated with the mentoring relationship. Receipts for reimbursement and the Travel and Expense Report should be mailed to Marie Fowler for approval and processing.