By the time students complete the Black Studies major, they should be able to:
- demonstrate broad familiarity with several regions in Africa and the African Diaspora;
- read books and articles across the range of genres and disciplines in which scholars have written about race-related topics;
- recognize and utilize the elements of sound argument in their reading and writing;
- focus their work within the major on a particular field or a specific research question;
- prepare and complete an extended research project.