Readings for Week Three (2/8)
The Federal Role in Spatial Inequality (Housing)
- David M. P. Freund, “Marketing the Free Market: State Intervention and the Politics of Prosperity in Metropolitan America,” in The New Suburban History (2002), 11-32.
- David O’Sullivan and David J. Unwin, “The Pitfalls and Potentials of Spatial Data”, in Geographic Information Analysis (2003), 26-49.
- Amy Hillier, “Redlining in Philadelphia,” in Anne Kelly Knowles, Past Time, Past Place: GIS for History (ESRI Press, 2002), 79-92.
- Amy Hillier, “Redlining and the Home Owners’ Loan Corporation,” Journal of Urban History (May 2003), 394-420.
These response pages should be thoughtfully conceived and constructed and should address the following issues:
- What is the central argument of the reading?
- How does the author support those claims?
- How does this author’s point of view intersect with other readings we have encountered throughout the course?
- Please propose and elaborate on one issue raised by the reading you believe should be included in our class discussion.
We look forward to reading your thoughts!