Assignment for Wagner's Tristan und Isolde Prelude
Listen to the Prelude. The sound fild combines the Prelude with the finale, Isolde's Liebestod. You can stop at around 9:52. The orchestral score is here: http://conquest.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/f/f8/IMSLP20351-PMLP03546-Wagner_Tristan_und_Isolde_Vorspiel_fs.pdf
Listen also to Isolde's Liebestod (a vocal version as a separate sound file). The socre: http://erato.uvt.nl/files/imglnks/usimg/e/ee/IMSLP20353-PMLP03546-Wagner_Tristan_und_Isolde_Liebestod_fs.pdf
Read the opera's synopsis http://www.oxfordmusiconline.com/subscriber/article/grove/music/O905152 . I will not be summarizing the opera's story during my presentation.
Watch the final parts of Scene V, Act I: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD4skF3PAhM (consult the synopsis if you are not sure what is going on here).
Answer the following questions, after listening to the Prelude, the Liebestod, and consulting the scores.
(1) What key is the Prelude in? What supports your reading?
(2) What are the major cadences in this Prelude?
(3) What are the major motivic units? How are they related to each other?
(4) What is the connection between the Prelude and the Liebestod? Why are they often performed "back-to-back?"
(5) What is the connection between the Prelude and Scene V, Act I? What does this connection tell us?
Post your answers (short, 1-2 sentences teach) to the course blog no latter than 10:00 P.M. on Sunday, May 6th. (See I am pretty lenient).