For your final lab report many of you did not get to the fourth section on phasors in the first experiment in Lab 10. The lab report asks you to put in an appendix analyzing your data from this section. Instead, of doing this appendix you should describe your measurements for the inductance using the RLC circuit (the first three sections) in the main part of the report. You can then contrast this measurement with the measurement for L you obtained from the RL circuit and the measurement you obtained with the LCR meter. If you obtained measurements for section 4 then you can choose whether or not you would like to put in the appendix or discuss the RLC circuit in the main document as I have described.
Also when it asks you to show the Bode plots for the RL circuit it asks a question about a "special frequency". That was intended for a different report and you can ignore that question. You should still, however, show your Bode plots and describe your results.
There is a facutly meeting so there will not be a help session today, 5/1.
There is a mandatory advising lunch on Friday that I am required to go to - so no lunch this week. Email me your questions if you have any and check out the homework hints.
Friday lunch is on. As Val is very crowded with all of the language lunches let's meet in the Mezzanine room of Lewis Sebring. It is the room at the top of the stairs. You can get your lunch in Val, or if you want to get the meal in the faculty dining hall and bring it up that is fine too. Why don't we meet at 12:00 right in the alcove in front of Val and I can get you guys set up in the faculty dining hall.
Friday, April 6, noon, Mezzanine room!
Under the assignments tab I have placed a pdf with hints for this week's hmwk. There is audio so make sure you have the latest version of Adobe. Hopefully this will help!
Download this and save it as a .ipf not .txt
Please turn your homework in on time. We will have the same late policy for the homework as we did for the quiz.
To give you a some help on this week's homework, I will give you the numerical answers for the even problems.
5) magnitude = 2.1E5 N/C
6) 1.4E17 m/s^2
23) approximation has a 1/(x^4) --> This is what you get if you keep terms to second order in x. There are other approximations one can achieve by keeping more terms in the series...
31) (2k(lambda)/d)*cos(14.5 degrees) --> this problem has the answer listed incorrectly
50) the solution is nasty - magnitude should be: (4k*sigma/L)*ln(((y+L/2)(L+2*sqrt(L^2/4+(y-L/2)^2)))/((y-L/2)(L+2*sqrt(L^2/4+(y+L/2)^2)))
60) y1=2.2E-3 m, y=1.6E-2 m
We are slotted for Monday at 9AM during finals week.
PHYS-124-01 Maxwellian Synthesis Ashley Carter Three Hour MERR 403 Monday 9:00 AM
To try to give us a longer help session this week because of the exam I extended the help session hours. I had to also shift them slightly. They will be from 6-7:30pm.
I have posted the grades for the first quiz and the math exam. Please check for errors.
We will have two lectures on Sunday, Feb. 19 from 3-4:30 pm. These will be make-up lectures for Feb. 27 and Feb. 29. I will be at a conference those two days and we will not have class. I also will not be there for the Tuesday night problem session that week. You may still meet and discuss if you like.
1) Download Miktex here: http://miktex.org/2.9/setup. Scroll down and download version 2.9.
2) Download WinEdt here: http://www.winedt.com/download.html. Scroll down and download version 6.0, USA. This is a free trial version for 30 days. If you like using Latex then you can either purchase WinEdt or download Texnic center here: http://www.texniccenter.org/resources/downloads/29. If you want to just download Texnic center first then you can, it's just that I haven't used it and haven't been able to get it to work. My feeling is that you might as well download WinEdt and see if you even like Latex.
3) Download the two attachments below: sample.tex and backscattered_data.jpg. Crud... okay it isn't letting me attach the tex file. I will send it in an email for now and work on the problem with IT. Put the two files in the same directory.
4) Open sample.tex in Winedt and push the pdftexify button. After some compilation where you should just hit yes, it will spit out a pdf. You may then modify this file to see how tex works.
Go to the following link and follow the directions. Cross your fingers and hope it works?
Go to the following link and follow the directions. Cross your fingers and hope it works? Of course you can rest easy knowing that you have linux and it takes an awful lot to crash that baby.