Action and Character
Listed in: Theater and Dance, as THDA-113
Formerly listed as: THDA-13
Moodle site: Course (Login required)
Ronald Dean Bashford (Section 01)
This course examines what happens on stage (the action) and “how” that action happens (the character) from the points of view of the playwright and the actor. The course assumes that the creative processes of both the actor and the playwright are similar. Therefore, the students will write scenes and at least one short play, which will be rehearsed as homework for presentation in class. Students will be given a series of acting and playwriting exercises to develop craft and to reinforce their understanding of creative processes. Students will be assigned plays and certain critical texts to support their work in writing and acting. Three two-hour class meetings and a two-hour production workshop per week.
Enrollment in each section is limited but early registration does not confer preferential consideration. Twenty students attending the first class will be admitted. Selection will be based upon the instructor’s attempt to achieve a suitable balance between first-year students and upperclassmen and between men and women, and to achieve a broad range of levels of acting experience. Notice of those admitted will be posted within 24 hours of the first meeting and a waiting list will be available.
Fall semester: Professor Bashford. Spring semester: Professor Lobdell.
KeywordsFine arts for non-majors, Artistic practice, Writing attentive
Offerings2015-16: Offered in Fall 2015 and Spring 2016
Other years: Offered in Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Fall 2009, Spring 2010, Fall 2010, Spring 2011, Fall 2011, Spring 2012, Fall 2012, Spring 2013, Fall 2013, Spring 2014, Fall 2014, Spring 2015
CLASS LIST and WAIT LIST
Please click on the PDF document below to see the list of students admitted to the course, and the wait list.
- IF YOU HAVE BEEN ADMITTED, BUT DECIDE YOU ARE NOT TAKING THE COURSE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.
- IF YOU ARE STAYING IN, YOU SHOULD CONTACT JON DOYLE IMMEDIATELY ABOUT YOUR CREW ASSIGNMENT. firstname.lastname@example.org
- ALSO PLEASE REMEMBER THAT IF YOU SKIP CLASS WITHOUT PERMISSION BEFORE THE END OF ADD/DROP, YOU WILL BE DROPPED.
- ALL REGISTRATIONS MUST BE CORRECT BY WED. SEPT. 12. IF YOU ARE NOT PRE-REGISTERED, YOU MUST REQUEST PERMISSION FROM ME VIA AC DATA BEFORE YOU CAN REGISTER. IF YOU ARE NOT TAKING THE COURSE, YOU MUST DROP IT FROM YOUR REGISTRATION IF YOU ARE ALREADY REGISTERED.
- IF YOU ARE ON THE WAIT LIST AND A SPOT OPENS FOR YOU, I WILL CONTACT YOU ASAP. PLEASE RESPOND PROMPTLY IF THIS HAPPENS.