By the time of their graduation, we expect that students who major in English will have become:
- Adept at reading closely and writing well.
- Skilled at critical writing about works in multiple genres, including written texts, performances and visual narratives such as film. Some students may choose to create works of their own in verse, prose fiction or other media.
- Attentive to the production of literary culture in a range of historical periods and social contexts.
- Informed about the relationship between literary texts, literary criticism, and theories about cultural production.
- Well-versed in the literature associated with at least one specific area of concentration.
- Capable of producing a well-researched long essay and/or completing a sustained creative project.