Environmental Studies majors are encouraged to study away and a diverse set of programs can serve to extend coursework at Amherst are available. Students should begin by visiting the Office of Global Education website including information on the Getting Started page. Informational meetings regarding the process for study away are scheduled during the semester through that office.
Many of our majors study away and credit toward the major can be petitioned for courses taken while studying off-campus. Students should consult with their academic advisors and Environmental Studies faculty regarding study away programs.
Link out to read several Study Away BLOGS from recent ENST majors who have studied away... Anna in Chaing Mai, Jeanyna in Chile, Rebecca in Copenhagen, Margot in Ecuador, and Yuko in Bhutan!
Below we list programs that majors have undertaken and that may be of interest to Environmental Studies majors. Note, however, that this list is NOT complete; Search for other relevant programs on the Office of Global Education website or on this list of Study Away Sustainability Opportunities maintained by the Sustainability office.
- School for Field Studies (programs listed below are pre-approved; other programs can be petitioned)
- Organization for Tropical Studies (all programs pre-approved)
- OTS: African Ecology and Conservation
- OTS: Tropical Biology (summer only, no college credit)
- School for International Training (some programs are pre-approved, some need to be petitioned)
- SIT Ecuador: Comparative Ecology and Conservation
- SIT Madagascar: Biodiversity and Natural Resource Management
- SIT Mongolia and Siberia: Nomadism, Geopolitics, and the Environment
- SIT Tanzania: Ecology, Wildlife and Natural Resource Management (students encouraged to petition)
- SIT Tanzania-Zanzibar: Coastal Ecology and Natural Resource Management (students encouraged to petition)
- International Sustainable Development Studies Institute Chiang Mai Thailand
- Frontiers Abroad in New Zealand
- Victoria University in New Zealand (pre-approved)
- Galápagos Semester Program (GAIAS: Galapagos Institute for the Arts and Sciences through Universidad San Fransisco de Quito in Quito, Ecuador)
- Danish Institute for Study Abroad
- Sustainability program in Denmark (pre-approved)
- Environmental Science of the Arctic program in Denmark (pre-approved)
- Swedish Program for Study Abroad (students encouraged to petition)
- SEA Semester: Environmental Studies in Woods Hole
- Semester in Environmental Studies, Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole
- IFSA Contemporary India, Pune (pre-approved)