Current News and Events
- Charles C. Mann '76, local author and alumn will be on campus Thursday, November 15 to discuss his latest book "The Edge of the Petri Dish: Wizards and Prophets. Talk will be at 5:00 PM in Kirkpatrick Lecture Hall, (SCCE A011), Science Center.
- Environmental Studies Career Panel with Charles Nutter '15, Meghan McCafferty '14 and Zachary Gerdes '14 on Thursday, November 8, more information to come.
- Film Screening and Discussion: When Two Worlds Collide, on Wednesday, September 19 at 7:00 PM in Keefe Campus Center Theater. The screening will be followed by a conversation with director Mathew Orzel. The film tells the story of a violent conflict in Bagua, Peru, in 2009 between the Peruvian government and indigenous protesters defending their land from oil extraction, is now on Netflix. It is a powerful blend of personal narrative and fraught political and environmental drama. I advised the filmmakers on policy aspects of the film in the later stages of the process. The film has been extremely successful on the international circuit, winning the Special Jury Prize at Sundance and earning accolades at prestigious festivals in Madrid, Shanghai, and Berlin.
- 2018 FREES Recipients
Past News and Events
- Professor Hannan Holleman will give a talk on Can we Survive Climate Change? Thursday, April 12 at 4:30 PM in Paino Lecture Hall, Beneski Museum of Natural History.
- Senior Theses Symposium: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 in Paino Lecture Hall, Beneski Building from 5:30-8:00 PM.
- Celebration of Professor Jan Dizard, the Departments of Anthropology-Sociology, American Studies and Environmental Studies will honor Professor Dizard on Thursday, April 26 at 4:30 PM in Paino Lecture Hall, Beneski Museum of Natural History.
- Dr. Jessica Hejny, Visiting Assistant Professor of Environmental Studies will give a talk on "The Trump Administration & Environmental Policy...How Bad is it?" on Thursday, March 29 at 5:00 PM in Paino Lecture Hall.
- Chris Klyza from Middlebury College will give a talk on US Climate Change Policy in a Time of Gridlock, Thursday, Feburary 15, 2018 at 5:00 PM in Paino Lecture Hall
- Visiting Assistant Jessica Hejny recently had an article published in the Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences.
- John Larsen, Director at the Rhodium Group will review US climate policy progress and pitfalls over the past decade..."What the Clean Power Plan would have done" on Thursday, December 7 at 5:00 PM in Pryne Lecture Hall
- Edward D. Melillo, Associate Professor of History and Environmental Studies, has received a prestigious New Directions Fellowship Award from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.