Official Invitation for Female Students
I am writing with an Official Invitation for your female students to represent Amherst College and participate in this international interscholastic competition, taking place globally and virtually on February 5-11, 2016, which we are doing in partnership with global organizations like NASA, IEEE Women in Engineering, ACM Women, and the United Nations:
Womensphere Global Videofest
Global, virtual, interscholastic competition inviting female students from all majors and all years (graduate, undergraduate) to create short videos envisioning solutions to the UN’s Global Goals for Sustainable Development. Website: www.globalvideofest.org
The Womensphere Global Videofest is a global initiative that empowers the next generation of women to create and envision solutions to humanity's greatest challenges, and to help achieve the 17 Global Goals for Sustainable Development, using video and video technology.
This international interscholastic competition is exclusively for female students currently enrolled at an accredited university or college, regardless of year (graduate, undergraduate), field, or major.
We are delighted to invite and accept female Student Contestants representing Amherst College
On September 25, 2015, at the United Nations General Assembly, world leaders representing 193 nations agreed on working towards achieving 17 Global Goals for Sustainable Development over the next 15 years, intended to tackle the greatest challenges we face all over the world: ending poverty, protecting the planet, and ensuring prosperity for all. (Website: https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org)
Achieving all these goals requires democratizing innovation, and requires empowering the participation of women – half the world’s population – in solving and tackling these challenges.
It is insufficient to have Gender Equality as one of the Global Goals. In order to achieve these 17 Global Goals, we need to unleash the vision, creative ideas, scientific thinking, innovation, leadership, and problem-solving capabilities of women towards tackling these global challenges, and towards creating the future.
This is the guiding purpose behind the Womensphere Innovation Lab, which pioneers, incubates, and scales innovative approaches of empowering women and girls to create the future, and which is the main producer of these global competitions under the Womensphere Foundation.
- January 15-February 4, 2016: Online Learning Sessions & Preparatory Sessions for Student Contestants (Optional)
- January 31, 2016: Deadline for Contest Registration
- February 5, 2016: The challenges for the contests will be announced to confirmed Contestants
- February 5-11, 2016: Womensphere Global Videofest interscholastic competitions take place globally, virtually
- February 11, 2016: Entry submission deadline online
- March 3-5, 2016: Over 100 Global Finalists will be announced
- April-September 2016: Global Finalists will enjoy media coverage, exhibits, social media promotion, book inclusion, and exclusive meetings with global leaders
- June 2016: Global winners are announced
- September 2016: Womensphere Awards are given at a Global Award Ceremony in New York City, during the week of the UN General Assembly
- September – November 2016: Media coverage on Global Winners
There will also be additional Awards for actively participating academic institutions sending high numbers of Student Contestants and having the most winning entries.
We encourage you to have Official Student Contestants representing your institution, as well as openly inviting other female students to participate as well.
There is a two-step Registration and Entry Submission process for Student Contestants:
Part 1: Registration (links below):
Registration confirms a Student Contestant’s commitment to participate in the global competition.
Deadline for Contest Registration is January 31, 2016.
Everyone in the team and individual competitions must be registered by the Deadline.
There is a USD $5.00 Registration Fee for each Student Contestant (whether graduate or undergraduate).
In advance of the competition, Womensphere will be offering Registered Contestants with Online Learning Sessions & Preparatory Sessions throughout January and February 1-4, 2016, so we encourage all Student Contestants to register to join as early as possible.
Womensphere Global Videofest (team competition)
Womensphere will authenticate each of the Registrations to ensure Student Contestants abide by the Contest Rules and Mechanics.
Part 2: Entry Submission
- Only Registered Contestants will receive the link for the Entry Submission Forms for their respective competition, which will be issued the day before the Competition, on February 4, 2016.
- All entries must be submitted through our Entry Submission platform.
- Each entry from an academic institution must be accompanied by a certification authenticating that the Student Contestants are truly currently-enrolled female students at the academic institution (this is up to the Student Contestants to secure from the academic institution.)
- Deadline for all Entry Submissions is February 11, 2016.
We invite your office’s support and hope that you can help facilitate the participation of outstanding and promising female students to represent Amherst College in the Womensphere Global Videofest.