This is a list of study abroad programs recommended by the Department for non-German speakers. Homestay is strongly recommended for anyone participating in these programs.

IES: Vienna

Open to students at all language levels, this program offers a variety of unique courses taught by faculty from top European institutions. Courses are clustered into the following topics: German Language, European Business, Economics, and Politics, Society and Self, The Arts. Wherever possible, courses take advantage of the city's historical, artistic, and cultural sites and include a hands-on, practical component.

With sufficient background in German, you can also enroll in courses at the prestigious Universitat Wien, where you experience the Austrian education system and have the option to participate in student activities. Click here for more information.

Back to top

IES: Berlin

The IES Berlin Language & Area Studies Program draws upon Berlin's rich culture and tradition to connect coursework subjects with the living history of the city. The program offers IES courses taught in German by German faculty, as well as access to classes at a number of Berlin universities, including the renowned Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin. Click here for more information.

Back to top

Heidelberg University: American Junior Year Abroad

During your studies at the University of Heidelberg -- Germany's oldest university -- you will develop a more independent and self-reliant attitude towards learning. You will gain a new perspective on your major field of studies and will broaden your understanding of European history and cultures. Since all courses are taught in German, your language proficiency will increase rapidly. These new language skills will then allow you to easily assimilate into German life and culture.

You can study with the AJY program for a full academic year, for just one semester, or for the 6-week Heidelberg at Heidelberg summer school. Regardless of your major, the experienced and knowledgeable program staff will help you select courses which reflect your interests and which fulfill the requirements of your home campus. You will receive an official transcript of academic work from an accredited U.S. institution, Heidelberg College in Tiffin, Ohio. Click here for more information.

Back to top