- Mathematics and StatisticsMathematics and Statistics
- After Amherst
- Comprehensives in Mathematics
- Comprehensives in Statistics
- Course Evaluations Fall 2015
- External Links
- Faculty & Staff
- Faculty Job Openings
- Final Exams
- Honors in Mathematics
- Honors in Statistics
- Major in Mathematics
- Major in Statistics
- News and Events
- Placement and Advising
- Prizes and Awards
- Staff Job Openings
- Statistical Consulting
- Study Abroad
- Summer Opportunities
- Teaching Opportunities for Students
Old Math Comps
Old Math comprehensive examinations are provided here that you may use for practice and while studying.
Please note the changes to courses covered and individual course syllabi made during the Fall 2012 revisions:
- Up until March 2012, the core part of the comprehensive examination covered four courses: Introductory Calculus, Intermediate Calculus, Multivariable Calculus, and Linear Algebra. In Fall 2012, the Department decided to remove Introductory Calculus and Intermediate Calculus from the core part of the examination. So when looking at the core part of an old comprehensive from March 2012 or earlier, you need only look at the problems involving Multivariable Calculus and Linear Algebra.
- In Fall 2012 we have made small changes to the syllabi for all of the courses covered on the comprehensive examination. We urge you to read all of the syllabi carefully when preparing for the comps.
- Some of the older comps refer to courses by their course numbers, all of which changed in Fall 2011.
Here is the conversion:
- Introductory Calculus = Math 11 = Math 111 (no longer covered on the examination)
- Intermediate Calculus = Math 12 = Math 121 (no longer covered on the examination)
- Multivariable Calculus = Math 13 = Math 211
- Linear Algebra = Math 25 = Math 271 or Math 272
- Algebra = Math 26 = Math 350
- Analysis = Math 28 = Math 355
The .pdf files contain multiple old examinations as compiled by our administrative assistant over the years.
Old Comprehensive Examinations in Mathematics
January 2015 Comps
January2014ALLComps.pdf January 2014 Comps
January2013ALLComps.pdf January 2013 Comps