- Mathematics and StatisticsMathematics and Statistics
- After Amherst
- Comprehensives in Mathematics
- Comprehensives in Statistics
- Course Evaluations Spring 2015
- External Links
- Faculty & Staff
- Faculty Job Openings
- Final Exams
- Honors in Mathematics
- Honors in Statistics
- Major in Mathematics
- Major in Statistics
- News and Events
- Placement and Advising
- Prizes and Awards
- Staff Job Openings
- Statistical Consulting
- Study Abroad
- Summer Opportunities
- Teaching Opportunities for Students
News and Events in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics
The Department of Mathematics is now The Department of Mathematics and Statistics with majors in both mathematics and statistics.
Ongoing - Math and Stats Table every Monday, noon - 1:30, Valentine Terrace Room B MOST weeks
Past News and Events can be found in the Archive.
Mu Sigma Rho Induction
In 2012-2013, Amherst began nominating outstanding students in Statistics to membership in Mu Sigma Rho,the National Statistics Honorary Society. This year, the Department would like to congratulate Johannes Ferstad, Jason Premo, Thomas Savage, Jarvis Sill, and Ningyue (Christina) Wang on their nomination and induction into Mu Sigma Rho. Congratulations!
Amherst College was represented by 4 teams (a total of 18 students) at the Five College DataFest held the weekend of March 27-29, part of a national competition sponsored by the American Statistical Association. This was the second year for the event in the Five Colleges. Participants spent 25 hours over the course of the weekend tackling a large dataset, and gave 6-minute presentations summarizing their insights. 6 teams out of 16 total were awarded prizes. Amherst teams won awards for: Best Business Value (Team: Jo-Jo ToAlTrev), Best Pitch (Team: 95% Confident), and Best Use of External Data (Team: The Women in Black). We were thrilled by the turn-out and hard work from Amherst students, and look forward to participation next year. Congratulations to all participants!
- Best Pitch: 95% Confident (Amherst College): Paul Gramieri, Caleb Ki, Levi Lee, Thomas Matthew, and Albert Yu
- Best Business Value: Jo-Jo ToAlTrev (Amherst College): Johannes Ferstad, Jon Jordan, Thomas Savage, Trevor Smith, Alexander Titelbaum
- Best Use of External Data: Women in Black (Amherst College): Muling Si, Jenny Xiao, Qi Xie, Jingwen Zhang
Mathematics, Statistics, and Basketball
Take a look at this NYT article about our women's basketball team, which includes quotes from Megan Robertson, who is majoring in both mathematics and statistics.
Amherst Student articles about recent Mathematics graduates
View a calendar of events in the Five College area.