- Performance OpportunitiesPerformance Opportunities
- Chamber Music
- Choral Society
- Concert Choir
- Ensemble Directors
- Glee Club
- Jazz Ensemble and Combos
- Madrigal Singers
- Music Director Evaluations Fall 2013
- Symphony Orchestra
- Women's Chorus
- World Music Performance Program
Looking at Amherst?
Currently in the midst of the dreaded college hunt? Making those pro/con charts? We love to talk to prospective students about any questions you may have regarding the Jazz scene here at the College. Please follow these simple steps in order to make the process as easy as possible:
- INTRODUCE YOURSELF. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Prospective Student: <your name>" so we can start a conversation about a potential future here at Amherst.
- VISIT US. We welcome you to join us in rehearsals on M/W evenings, 7pm-11pm. Bring your instrument or inform us of what you need so we can hear you and start the admissions process. It is also possible to meet with Bruce as you travel through Amherst. Be in touch to organize this.
- FILL OUT AN ARTS SUPPLEMENT. If you are serious about playing music at the college level, this is a first step for most institutions. This way, you can be on our radar for as long as possible. The guidelines for the Amherst Arts Suppliment are found here. Jazz@Amherst also has additional suggestions, seen below:
- Please submit samples for as many styles of music (jazz, classical, pop, folk, etc.) that you believe will advocate for your admission.
- If possible, separate the different examples by track rather than create one long track. Please label ALL tracks. As the process moves to all-electronic, it is hugely important that you label your submission with a great deal of accuracy and specificity. Please indicate at what point your solo voice can be heard if it is tucked within an ensemble piece.
- Please specify your specific instrument(s), and your comfort level on each instrument you play (i.e. "Advanced Alto Saxophone" rather than "woodwinds").
- Please make sure that your submission is accessible without the need to log in to a cloud server or other password-encoded mass storage device.
- STAY IN TOUCH. Our most successful applicants are actively on our radar from before they arrive on campus. Let us know about new and exciting muical endeavors going on in your lives at High School and in other areas.
Thanks for visiting our site and we look forward to hearing from you!