**Print this page as a checklist for major requirements.
Students (including transfer students intending to major in Neuroscience) are encouraged to use the Course Scheduler to review course information for those listed below (including content, requisites, etc..)
Neuroscience majors must preregister for all courses they will use to satisfy requirements for the major, rather than to assume that they will be guaranteed entry into a course during the add/drop period if they did not preregister for it (e.g., you must preregister for BIOL-301 or 351).
Chemistry: All of the following:
- CHEM-151 (or 155)
- CHEM-221 (most majors also take CHEM-231)
- note: BIOL-181 is optional for Neuroscience, but should be considered by students in the second semester of their freshman year that are considering majoring in Biology or Neuroscience but haven't decided between them yet.
Statistics: One of the following:
- STAT-111 (formerly MATH-130) -or-
- STAT-135 (formerly MATH-135) -or-
- STAT-230 (formerly MATH-230) -or-
- BIOL-210 -or-
Physics/Mathematics: At least two of the following courses:
- PHYS-116, 117, 123, 124
- MATH 111, 121, 211
- note: This requirement applies to the classes of 2016 and subsequently.
- If you have Advanced Placement in any of these subjects, take more advanced courses.
- MATH-111 or Advanced Placement (at least 4 on AB or 3 on BC) is a prerequisite for CHEM-161 and PHYS-117.
- The Statistics requirement above is a separate requirement and those courses do not count towards this Physics/Math requirement.
Advanced Placement information for the General Science courses:
The following course must be taken in the Spring semester of your sophomore year:
- NEUR-226 : Introduction to Neuroscience
One of the following:
- PSYC-325 : Psychopharmacology
- PSYC-356 : Neurophysiology of Motivation
- PSYC-359 : Hormones and Behavior
One of the following:
- BIOL-301 : Molecular Neurobiology
- BIOL-351 : Neurophysiology
Two additional upper-level elective courses, chosen as follows:
GROUP A (at least one course must be chosen from the following courses)
- An additional behavioral neuroscience course from item (3) above
- An additional molecular/cellular neuroscience course from item (4) above
- BIOL-450 : Seminar in Physiology
- PSYC-361: Consciousness and the Brain
- NEUR-425 : Proseminar: Systems Neuroscience
- A Five College neuroscience course that is approved by the Neuroscience faculty
GROUP B (a second elective may be chosen from GroupA or from the following courses)
- BIOL-250 & 251 : Molecular Genetics (w/ and w/out lab)
- BIOL-331 : Biochemistry
- BIOL-330 : Biochemical Principles of Life at the Molecular Level
- BIOL-220 : Developmental Biology
- BIOL-241 : Genetic Analysis
- BIOL-260 : Animal Physiology
- BIOL-270 & 271 : Microbiology (w/ and w/out lab)
- BIOL-380 & 381 : Genome Biology (w/ and w/out lab)
- BIOL-291 : Cell Structure and Function
- BIOL-370 : Immunology
- BIOL-310 : Structural Biochemistry
- BIOL-280 & 281 : Animal Behavior (w/ and w/out lab)
- CHEM-351 : Physical Chemistry I
- CHEM-361 : Physical Chemistry II
- PHYS-225 : Modern Physics
- PHYS-400 : Molecular and Cellular Biophysics (also called Biology 400 and Chemistry 400)
- PSYC-233 : Cognitive Psychology
- PSYC-234 : Memory
- PSYC-236 : Psychology of Aging
- PSYC-357 : History of Psychiatry
Note: Courses in which a student has not received a letter grade better than "D" are not counted towards the Neuroscience major.