Neuroscience majors that wish to gain research and internship experiences are encouraged to explore the programs below. Many of these opportunities are paid and offer on-campus housing and meals. The deadlines for application are often in the winter and early spring, so please explore them as soon as you're considering this possible summer option and reach out to your advisor and the Loeb Career Center for more information and guidance. Amherst also has a summer SURF program that is worth checking out!
Summer Courses and Workshops
A great way to apply and extend what you have been learning in the classroom and the laboratory is to join an active research lab over the summer. Amherst College and many institutions across the country (and beyond) offer summer undergraduate research programs that typically last about 10 weeks. Descriptions of some of these programs and the applications can be found at the links provided below.
Students are encouraged to start thinking about summer research and internship opportunities during their fall semesters. It's important to consider all your options and discuss them with your academic advisor early and regularly!
Summer Research Programs
Students are encouraged to apply to multiple programs as there are limited spots in each. Through sending out many applications, most students are successful in obtaining off-campus summer research experiences and internships.
- The Biology Department maintains an excellent list of summer research opportunities and internships!
- The FUN Summer Research Internship List (Faculty for Undergraduate Neuroscience)
- Here's another neuroscience list maintained by someone at Brown University
- Another up-to-date, annotated list of summer neuroscience research programs is available from the Rochester Institute of Technology
- Other sites with lists of programs