Academic resources

Our goal is that all students feel capable of succeeding, are comfortable being their authentic selves in departmental spaces, and have access to the full curriculum. Here are some academic resources available to you.

  • Talk with your professor and any teaching assistants in the course. Attend regular/drop-in office hours or make an appointment. Attend TA help sessions.
  • Talk with other students in the Physics & Astronomy Student Lounge. All are welcome and majors get card access.
  • The Moss Quantitative Center (the "Q-Center") has drop-in hours and help sessions. These are typically designed for students in the 100-level courses.
  • Peer Tutoring pairs you with a more experienced student for one-on-one help. It's free of charge.
  • The Writing Center can help with consultations on a particular assignment or broad strategies about how to approach a large project like a thesis.
  • Accessibility Services coordinates accommodations for students with disabilities. These include both academic and non-academic accommodations.
  • Finances should not constrain access to our courses. If this is a concern, speak with your academic advisor, your instructor, or the department chair.
  • You may contact the department chair or a member of the Climate and Community Committee if you have an issue in a course that you are uncomfortable raising with the instructor.
  • Your academic advisor can help with overall strategies about approaching the curriculum and your major, and also with brainstorming details like how to approach a challenging situation or how to access college resources.
  • Your class dean can help coordinate among multiple courses, such as managing extensions while you recover from an illness.
  • The College maintains a page on academic support resources as well.

Non-academic resources

Being a member of our community involves more than just academics. Here are some resources to help you beyond coursework.

  • Your course's professor can help resolve classroom incidents and concerns.
  • You may contact the department chair or any member of the Climate and Community Committee to raise an issue about the climate in the department or a specific incident or concern.
  • The College maintains a page on health and wellbeing, including many resources such as the Counseling Center and Recreation & Fitness.
  • The College maintains a page for reporting forms, where you can formally seek help or request intervention. The forms on that page are
    • COVID Concerns Report for concerns about behavior that conflicts with our COVID Community Guidelines
    • Care Report for requesting resources or other assistance for a student whose behavior concerns you
    • Community Standards Report for potential violations of the Student Code of Conduct
    • Sexual Misconduct Report, also known as the "Title IX" report
    • Intellectual Responsibility Report
  • The College Ombudsperson is available to staff and faculty for confidential discussion of workplace concerns.