Actions for 2021-2022 academic year
Here are some things we've done recently and are working on for 2021-2022.
- Our department has joined the American Institute of Physics's TEAM-UP Project, which has as its goal the doubling of the number of bachelor's degrees in physics and astronomy awarded to African Americans by 2030. Read more here. We have attended workshops and committed to a plan that includes some of the things on this page.
- All faculty and instructional staff spent summer 2021 taking a course on Developing Effective Practices for Inclusive Classrooms. Part of the course includes committing to at least one change in how we teach and how we assess learning.
- Members of our faculty are participating in a College project, funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, to engage in curricular innovation to address race and anti-racism in faculty members' courses.
- We are continuing to refine the structure and function of the Climate and Community Committee, which was formed in spring 2020.
- We are reviewing departmental policies and drafting Departmental Conduct Norms.
- We are working with outside consultants on a climate survey to collect feedback from members of our community.
- We held a department retreat in May 2021 to discuss inclusive pedagogical practices and our equity & inclusion plans for the next year.
- Students may satisfy one of the elective requirements for either major by taking a course focusing on the sociology of STEM such as Being Human in STEM (BIOL 250, CHEM 250, SOCI 250).