Novyi Zhurnal (The New Review) ( New York), one of the most prominent social-political, literary, and cultural journals of the Russian-language diaspora, was founded by M. O. Tsetlin (1882-1945) and M. A. Aldanov (1886-1957). The first issue came out in 1942, and publication continues to the present day.
From 1946 to 1959 the journal was edited by Professor M. M. Karpovich (1887-1959); from 1959 to 1966 by R. B. Goul (1896-1986), Yu. P. Denike (1887-1964), and N. S. Timashev (1886-1970); from 1966 to 1975 by R. B. Goul; from 1975 to 1976 by R. B. Goul (editor-in-chief), G. Andreev (pseudonym of G. A. Khomiakov, 1909-1984), and L. D. Rzhevsky (1905-1986); from 1978 to 1981 by R. B. Goul (editor-in-chief) and E. L. Magerovsky; from 1984 to 1986 by R. B. Goul (editor-in-chief) and Yu. D. Kashkarov (1940-1994); from 1986 to 1990 by an editorial board; from 1990 to 1994 by Yu. D. Kashkarov (editor-in-chief); and since 1994 by V. P. Kreid.
From its very founding, Novyi Zhurnal was geared toward unifying all the intellectual forces of the emigration from Russia and the former USSR (from the first, second, and later the third “waves”). The journal printed material from emigrants who had settled in Europe, the United States, China, Latin America, Australia, and Israel. Beginning in the 1950s, the journal published works created in the USSR but forbidden by the Soviet censor, and samizdat materials which were sent to the editors through illegal channels.
The majority of the Novyi Zhurnal collection was preserved in the form of the personal archive of Roman Borisovich Goul, who was head of the journal for over 30 years. In the 1990s the fund was supplemented by material submitted for publication in the last decade.
The archive is composed of published and unpublished manuscripts and documents in Russian, French, German, and English submitted to the editors from the beginning of the 1950s right up until the 1990s. Among these manuscripts are artistic prose, poetry, memoirs, historical documents, printed materials, literary criticism, and articles on the history of art, culture, philosophy, religion, and the Church. A large part of the archive is made up of correspondence between authors and the journal’s editors in addition to the editors’ documents relating to finance and production.
Roman Goul conducted long-running business and personal relations with Russian prose writers, poets, thinkers, historians, art scholars, publicists, and Church and public figures of the Russian emigration. Many of these connections were formed during the years of his sojourn in Europe: in Germany (1920-1933), France (1933-1950), and England (1936-1937). In 1950 R. Goul moved to the USA, and his archive was enriched with new correspondents.
Among the most valuable and abundant materials in the Novyi Zhurnal archive are the letters of Georgii Adamovich, Mark Aldanov, Svetlana Allilueva, Yurii Annenkov, Arkadii Belinkov, Nina Berberova, Vera Bunina, Nikolai Valentinov, Vladimir Veidle, Mark Weinbaum, Anatolii Velichkovsky, Georgii Vernadsky, Thomas Whitney, Mark Vishniak, Gaito Gazdanov, Yurii Garvy, Gleb Glinka, Sergei Gollerbakh, Militsa Greene, Roman Goul, Anna Gumilev-Friegang, Ivan Elagin, Boris and Vera Zaitsev, Vasilii Zenkovsky, Dmitrii Ivanov, Yurii Ivask, Dmitrii Klenovsky, Yurii Krotkov, Nikolai Lossky, Sergei Makovsky, Vladimir Maximov, Yuli Margolin, Nikolai Morshen, Boris Nartsissov, Irina Odoevtseva, Yurii Offrossimov, Valerii Pereleshin, Rostislav Pletnev, Vera Pirozhkova, Kirill Pomerantsev, Boris Prianishnikov, Sergei Pushkarev, Aleksis Rannit, Leonid Rzhevsky, Andrei Sedykh, Vsevolod Setchkarev, Mark Slonim, Alexander Solzhenitsyn, Fedor Stepun, Alexei, Gleb and Nikita Struve, Boris Suvarin, Zinaida and Dmitrii Shakhovskoy, Olga Shor, Yurii Terapiano, Victor Terras, Alexandra Lvovna Tolstaia, Viktor Trivas, Boris Unbegaun, Georgii Fedotov, Tatiana Fesenko, Georgii Florovsky, Elizabeth Reynolds-Hapgood, Maria Tsetlina, Igor Chinnov, Igumen Gennadii (Eykalovich), Roman Yakobson, etc.
The structure of the Novyi Zhurnal archive replicates the order in which R. Goul kept it, preserving the editorial material.