The Theater and Dance Department at Amherst College believes that the study and making of performances provides students with transformative experiences in creative problem solving, play, critical thinking, and interpersonal communication. Combined with liberal arts study, engaging with theater and dance increases awareness of the way our senses, bodies, actions, and imaginations interact to enhance our understanding of the world and one another.
- The department offers curricular and extracurricular opportunities, open auditions, and other opportunities for all students.
- Current faculty and staff are recognized artists and craftspersons in their various fields, and the department boasts state-of-the-art rehearsal studios, shop spaces, and performance facilities.
- We support students seeking summer research fellowships, summer internships and training opportunities, and post-graduate fellowships. We work with the College's Loeb Center for Career Exploration and Planning, the Fellowships Office, and the Office of Global Education to support our students in their summer endeavors, study abroad planning, and life after graduating.
- Our department is a member of Five College Dance, one of the largest dance programs in the nation.
- We also work to enhance the state of the arts on campus as part of the Arts at Amherst Initiative.
Suzie Rivers (Academic Department Coordinator & Business Manager)
Professor Wendy Woodson, Department Chair 2021-22
If you are a high school student considering applying to Amherst, check out our frequently asked questions page.