Kirby Memorial Theater
Kirby Memorial Theater was designed in 1938 by James Kellum Smith of McKim, Mead & White, with the help of S.R. McCandless, a theater designer. Kirby has since been upgraded to a state-of-the-art 384-seat modified proscenium house, with computerized lighting and sound equipment, a stretch-wire lighting grid, and a refurbished fly system. Kirby also houses our fully-equipped scenic and costume shops. The scene shop is linked to the Holden Theater, easily serving both performing spaces. Off to the right of the Kirby Theater lobby is Canfield Lounge, where we hold receptions, meetings and small classes.
Holden Experimental Theater
Built in the late 1990s, Holden Experimental Theater is a 6,000 square-foot, state-of-the-art flexible theater with its own lobby, moveable seating, computer-controlled lighting and sound systems, catwalks, lighting grid, and dressing rooms.
Just up the hill from the Kirby and Holden Theaters is Webster Hall, which houses the Theater and Dance offices, and lounge. Four spacious studio spaces are used for teaching ad performance. Studios One and Three are equipped for performances, with flexible seating, and lighting and sound capabilities. Studios One and Two have sprung floors for dance and movement work. The Design Studio includes drafting work stations, and research materials. An indoor link connects our spaces in Webster Hall to the Kirby and Holden theaters below.