The rehearsal studios (1, 2 & 3) in Webster Hall are lab spaces within an academic department that uses them extensively for academic reasons. The following policy applies to students who wish to use the studios. The studios are managed by the Theater and Dance Department.
- The primary use of the studios is academic: classes, department rehearsals & majors work, and academic assignments given to students enrolled in THDA courses.
- Studios are available for extra-curricular use on a limited basis as explained below.
Studios 1, 2 and 3 are accessed by ID card-swipe. Students have access as THDA Majors, through THDA course enrollment, or through approval by the THDA Department Chair.
To request access for extracurricular use, please contact the Academic Department Coordinator, Ryan O'Donnell. Please be advised that some extracurricular use requests are subject to approval by the Chair on a case-by-case basis (see below).
SIGNING-UP FOR TIME (RESERVATIONS)
- To reserve studio time, use the THDA Studio Sign Up Google Calendar. Email Ryan O'Donnell for access to the appointment calendar
- Sign-up is on a week-by-week basis. Sign-ups are not allowed prior to 2 weeks in advance.
For THDA students…
- Sign up for time as needed. Your professor may also reserve blocks of time for course use.
- Please do not sign up in advance for more than two hours per day.
- THDA majors should contact the Chair to schedule extended or recurring rehearsals.
For extracurricular groups…
- An extracurricular group with approved access may sign-up for up to five hours of studio time per week without additional permission (see below).
- You must sign up with your last name and the name of your group on the calendar.
- Please do not sign up for more than two consecutive hours at a time on weeknights.
- For extracurricular reservations of more than five hours per week, or for recurring requests, you must request approval from the Chair at least three weeks in advance.
- Extracurricular groups who wish to use a studio for performances must request permission from the Chair (preferably before the end of the prior semester), obtain equipment and safety certification, and arrange usher services with the THDA Department. Spaces are not available for performance use for the 2021-2022 academic year.
- Extracurricular groups may not use studios after midnight.
CANCELLATIONS and CONFLICTS
- Everyone must use the sign-up calendars, even on the same day of use.
- If you don’t show up for a reservation within 30 minutes, you forfeit your reservation.
- If a studio is reserved but not occupied, you may use it. However, if someone with a prior reservation arrives within 30 minutes, then their original reservation must be respected.
- We expect students to respect one another’s academic needs and to treat one another with courtesy. Students who need studio time for coursework should work together to share.
- Extracurricular groups who fail to use the sign-up calendar—or are beyond their five-hour weekly limit — must graciously give way to any student who needs the studio for academic reasons.
- The Chair or ADC of the THDA Department may cancel any reservation at any time. We will strive to give 24-hour notice of any needed cancellation.
The Chair of the THDA Department may revoke your—or your group’s—access, if you:
- Do not follow the guidelines above.
- Leave a studio door propped open after you leave.
- Interrupt or abruptly intrude on others’ reserved time in progress.
- Mistreat the space. This includes not returning furniture to the edges of the room, not storing props, leaving windows or doors open, leaving lights on, or removing furniture or other items.
- Lend your ID or key to another student who doesn’t have approved access.
- Sign up individually for academic use and provide the space to an unlisted extracurricular group.
- Cause another student to give up a reservation through pressure, harassment, numerical advantage, or misrepresentation. If you falsely claim to have a reservation, alter someone else’s reservation, or do not honor another student’s reservation, your access will be permanently revoked.
- In any other way cause conflict.
- Return furniture to the edges of the room when done.
- Store items neatly in closets or other appropriate areas.
- Do not leave things on window sills.
- Throw away your trash, close the windows, turn out the lights, and close the door behind you!