- Academic Calendar
- Academic Support Services
- Amherst Explorations
- Center for Community Engagement
- Colloquia, Seminars & Centers
- Course Evaluations
- Dean of the Faculty
- Faculty Profiles
- Five College Programs & Information
- Grants & Funding
- Grant Writing Resources
- Guest-Accessible Courses
- Interdisciplinary Concentrations
- Our Open Curriculum
- Study Abroad
SURF Application Information
The online 2016 SURF Application is open!
DEADLINE TO APPLY: FEBRUARY 26TH
Amherst's SURF Program includes Clare Boothe Luce, Hitchcock/Mofson, Albree, Sarles, and Dean of the Faculty funded Fellows. Students applying for any of these Fellowships use the online SURF application.
Please review the guidelines and instructions below carefully before completing the application.
You will need to prepare the following materials for your SURF application:
- Unofficial transcript (copy from AC Data into a word document)
- Statement of interest (1-2 pages) discussing your interest in research, your background conducting research, and how you think the SURF Program will help advance your academic or career goal. Previous research experience is not required.
You will also be also be asked to:
- list your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices for research areas. Please note that some areas of research (particularly neuroscience) receive many more applicants than we are able to place. Click here for the 2016 SURF faculty and research areas.
- provide contact information for an Amherst College professor, advisor, mentor, or laboratory instructor to support your application (they will need to fill out a short form). We strongly suggest you meet with this person to discuss your application before you submit your application.
- Can a student submit an online application after the deadline? No
- Can my faculty recommender submit his/her recommendation after the deadline? Yes
- Will a recommendation received after the deadline impact my application? No
- When are decisions made and how will I be notified? The SURF review committee meets during spring break. Email notifications may be sent out as early as late March but more typically notifications are sent out mid-late April.
Please contact Maureen Manning, SURF Program Coordinator, x8328 or email: email@example.com