- Academic Calendar
- Academic Support Services
- Amherst Explorations
- Center for Community Engagement
- Colloquia and Seminars
- Dean of the Faculty
- Faculty Profiles
- Five College Programs & Information
- Grants & Funding
- Grant Writing Resources
- Amherst Student Research Funding & Opportunities
- Guest-Accessible Courses
- Study Abroad
APPLY TO THE 2015 SURF PROGRAM
2015 Application is CLOSED- deadline February 20, 2015.
- Can a student submit an online application after the deadline? No
- Can my faculty recommender submit his/her recommendation after the deadline? Yes
- Will a recommendation received after the deadline impact my application? No
- When are decisions made and how will I be notified? The SURF review committee meets during spring break. Email notifications may be sent out as early as late March but more typically notifications are sent out mid-late April.
Please contact Maureen Manning, SURF Program Coordinator, x8328 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Amherst's SURF Program includes Clare Boothe Luce, Hitchcock/Mofson, Albree, Sarles, and Dean of the Faculty funded Fellows. Students applying for any of these Fellowships use the online SURF application.
You will need to prepare the following materials for your SURF application:
- Unofficial transcript (copy from AC Data into a word document)
- Essay(1-2 pages) discussing your interest in research, your background conducting research, and how you think the SURF Program will help advance your academic or career goal. Previous research experience is not required.
You will also be also be asked to :
- list your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices for research areas.Please note that some areas of research (particularly neuroscience) receive many more applicants than we are able to place. The 2015 faculty member list is not yet available but it is a good idea to review the 2014 SURF faculty and research area information.
- provide contact information for a faculty recommender to support your application (they will need to fill out a short form). We strongly suggest you contact this person beforehand.
Steps for completing the application:
1) Click the Amherst College GO! logo at the top of the page.
2) Select “Register Now” in the Student Login section.
- Complete the Registration
- Three Part Form
- General Information
- Major Information
- Create Password
- Navigate back to the Home Screen to log into the system, your account has been created
3) Search the programs offered and select the apply button next to 2015 Summer SURF Program
4) Complete the application and click submit when you're finished.