Amherst-The American University of Beirut Exchange Program
Beirut, LebanonAmherst-The American University of Beirut Exchange Program
Amherst College and the American University of Beirut share a long history. Dr. Daniel Bliss, Class of 1852, founded and served as the first president of AUB. The curriculum has a strong liberal arts foundation and students interested in political science, Middle Eastern studies, and many other fields will find specialists at AUB. Knowledge of Arabic not required to participate in the exchange. Students in the exchange pay their home school's tuition and accommodation fee. Financial aid for Amherst students is portable. Non-aided students can apply for funding from the Wahid Chammas Fund to include meals, airfare, etc. Contact email@example.com with questions. More information about the exchange is also available on AUB's FAQs page for exchange students.
We invite students to submit an application if it is your first-choice program; we will assume that, if admitted, an offer will be accepted. To apply, please follow the instructions below. All materials should be submitted to the Director of the Global Education Office, AC 2295 by the deadline. The faculty Committee on Global Education will review and nominate students for the exchange.
- Complete the AUB Exchange Student Application. For this application, you will need to make a preliminary course selection (courses subject to change). (Please note: the application refers to an application fee, but it is waived for Amherst applicants. Do not send application materials directly to AUB, send them to AC 2295.) Deadline for Fall 2019: Friday, February 15, 2019.
- Write a personal statement, not to exceed three pages, that addresses the following questions:
- How does a semester with at AUB relate to your academic goals?
- How does it relate to your long-term plans?
- Do you have any academic coursework and/or personal experiences that will prepare you for a semester in Lebanon?
- Request an official transcript from the Registrar's website be sent to the Director of the Global Education Office, AC 2295.
- Submit your Intent to Study Away (if you haven't already).
- Request one faculty recommendation supporting your application to be delivered by the deadline to the Director of the Global Education Office, AC 2295 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students must complete a special waiver, in addition to the Educational Leave and Waiver Form, to study in Lebanon. See the Director of the Global Education Office for details and be sure to familiarize yourself with the U.S. State Department's travel warning for Lebanon.Language(s) of instruction available:
Arabic, EnglishLanguage pre-requisites:
None required. Nearly all courses are offered in English, though Arabic language courses are offered in Arabic.Academic specialties:
General university subjects, STEMTerms of study:
Semester, Full yearAmherst approved:
YesStudent evaluations: https://www.amherst.edu/mm/439297Program type:
University-based program Housing:
Dorm with local students, Dorm with international students