Travel Policy for College-Sponsored Programs

Students traveling on college-sponsored trips* in countries that have significant political unrest, a natural disaster, or other country or region-specific disturbance should carefully consider the risks with their families and in consultation with official sources of travel information such as the U.S. Department of State and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In instances where the college sponsors travel to areas with Level 3 or Level 4 travel advisories, the college may require students to take additional steps (in addition to completing the college’s international travel waiver) before receiving funds to study or travel or before being placed on educational leave for a semester abroad. For example:

  • For students receiving sponsorship (e.g., funding and/or credit) to areas where there is a Level 3 travel advisory by the U.S. State Department and/or Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the college requires an additional special waiver to be signed by both the student and the student’s parents/guardians.
  • Travel to countries or regions under a Level 4 Travel Advisory issued by the U.S. State Department and/or Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is presumptively ineligible for college sponsorship. Sponsorship to travel to areas where there is a Level 4 travel advisory is permitted only if an exception is granted by the Office of the Dean of the Faculty.
  • Students interested in traveling to countries with an overall Level 1 or Level 2 advisory that have a region within the country at Levels 3 or 4 must follow the protocol for travel to Levels 3 or 4 only if they wish to travel to those higher risk regions.

The responsibility to assess the safety of a student’s proposed trip remains with the student -- in consultation with the student’s family -- at all times. The college may, in its sole discretion, sponsor programs to areas with Level 3 or Level 4** U.S. State Department travel advisories. The college’s decision to sponsor travel to areas with Level 3 or Level 4 travel advisories is not an endorsement of the safety of the area or of a student’s specific plans.

The college may decline to place a student on educational leave for study abroad and/or may prohibit a student from receiving funds to study or travel on a college-sponsored trip in a particular country. Students who nonetheless choose to study abroad or travel to that country or region may not transfer credit or financial aid or other college funds and would need to take a personal leave from the college or travel independently in order to participate in the program.

*College-sponsored trips are either funded (in full or in part), arranged by, and/or awarded credit by the college.

Amherst College Travel Registry

Students studying abroad for the semester or year must register their trip with the Amherst College Travel Registry. This steps takes only a few moments:

  1. Go to the Amherst College Travel Registry website.

  2. Your Amherst email is already in the database, so you should be able to log in with your regular Amherst email and password. If you cannot, click the “forgot password” button and an email will be sent to your Amherst email with log in instructions.

  3. Create a “side trip.” (This is also an excellent opportunity to update your emergency contact information to your AC Data profile.)

International Waivers, Travel Petitions, and Special Waivers

tea.jpg Students traveling on college-sponsored programs (anything arranged, credited, and/or funded by Amherst) must submit a waiver to the Global Education Office or other appropriate office.

If a student is traveling to a country where there is a U.S. State Department Travel Advisory Level 3 or Level 4 (even if only a region within the country is a level 3 or level 4), the student complete the travel petition. Please contact the Global Education Office for access to the travel petition (geo[at]

Checklist and Packet for College-Sponsored Summer Travel

2014_Shen_Siyu_3.JPG Students traveling abroad on college-sponsored programs—any trip that is funded, credited, and/or arranged by the college- have access to an emergency medical assistance benefit through AIG Travel Guard. A college-sponsored trip is any trip that is funded, arranged, or credited by the college. (Semester and year-long study abroad students receive this information in a separate pre-departure meeting and packet.)

Summer 2019 College-Sponsored Travel Pre-Departure Meeting

May 1, 2019 at 5pm in Fayerweather 113

Registering for Your Trip

Please don’t forget to register your trip in the Amherst College Travel Registry:

  1. Log in with your Amherst email and password. (If you are using the site for the first time, follow the instructions for first-time users.)
  2. Go to the tab “Side Trip” and complete the form.