Professor of Black Studies and History
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Associate Professor of Black Studies and History
We bring to our community accomplished, promising scholar-teachers from backgrounds that mirror the diversity of Amherst's student body. Once professors are here, the college provides generous resources to help them thrive.
Amherst hires stellar candidates for faculty positions using a search process that places an emphasis on generating broad and inclusive applicant pools. The hallmarks of the Amherst faculty are its commitment to undergraduate and interdisciplinary teaching in a liberal arts context; the expansion of the realm of knowledge through scholarly research and artistic creation at the highest level; and engagement in college and community life. Amherst is enriched through its membership in the Five College Consortium, which comprises five campuses, 2,200 faculty members, and 30,000 students.
Amherst faculty normally teach two courses per semester, with an equivalence adjustment for faculty who teach lab courses. Nearly all faculty mentor honors students engaged in thesis work. Advising is considered a central responsibility of the faculty. The Office of the Provost and Dean of the faculty provides many resources to support professors' pedagogy and related areas of academic life.
Scholarship and Creative Work
Throughout their careers, our teacher-scholars are actively engaged in scholarship and creative work, support for which is provided through generous internal programs, as well as external grants. All tenure-track assistant professors receive a full year's sabbatical leave at full salary after reappointment and another full year of fully paid sabbatical leave following a positive tenure decision. Thereafter, faculty receive leaves at 100 percent salary, at the rate of one semester for every six semesters of teaching. The college provides in excess of $2 million per year in support of faculty research, including start-up funding for new faculty, and grants of up to $30,000 to support the research of tenure-track and tenured faculty. All faculty receive an annual travel allowance to attend conferences and to support research.
Links to information that prospective faculty will find helpful
- Meet Our Faculty
- The Provost's Divsion Anti-Racism Plan
- Support for Teaching and Scholarship at Amherst
- Provost's Program to Introduce New Faculty to the College
- Faculty Mentoring
- Meet our Faculty Equity and Inclusion Officers and Other Members of the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Collaborative Research with Students
- Student Interns to Support the Faculty's Work
- Learn More about Amherst College/ Take our Virtual Tour
- Living and Working in the Five-College Area
- Resources for Spouses and Partners
- Welcoming New Colleagues to the College: A Checklist for Department Chairs
- Affinity Groups at the College for Faculty and Staff