Amherst College students, faculty and staff, as well as members of the community, whether or not they are affiliated with the five colleges, may audit courses at Amherst College.
Auditors must receive permission from the instructor. People wishing to audit a class should be aware of the following:
- There is no record kept and no grade given for an audited class. Auditors will not appear on regular class lists and will not be counted in the official enrollment. They will be included on class email lists if they are receiving electronic services.
- Auditors may elect whether or not to receive online services from the College. These services include things such as access to e-reserves and Moodle course websites and inclusion on the class email list.
- All auditors are asked to register using the audit request form even if not using online services.
Procedure for requesting online access to course materials:
- Print and fill out the audit request form—available online or at the Registrar’s Office in Converse Hall.
- Get the signature of the instructor
- Return the form to the Registrar’s Office on the first floor of Converse Hall, Room 101.
- If you are getting a new Amherst College account as part of this request, we will email you your Amherst account information within 48 to 72 hours. If you have an existing account you will receive access within 48 hours.
- If you do not receive an email confirming your registration within three days, you may use the password reset form to have your confirmation email resent. If your email is not accepted, please contact the Registrar's office.
The final decision about the appropriateness of admitting an auditor and about the character of course participation appropriate for an auditor rests with the faculty member. Auditors are generally not permitted in over-enrolled courses. The College reserves the right to limit the number of courses audited by any one person, to limit the total number of auditors on campus at a particular time, and to change this policy.