Credit for Off-Campus Programs: Study Abroad or Domestic Leave

Students who plan to study abroad or on a domestic educational leave must understand the college's policies on transfer credit. Please use the following guidelines for courses you will want to transfer for credit at Amherst:

  1. The work you take must be in liberal arts courses.
  2. The work should not duplicate or substantially overlap your previous courses.
  3. The work you wish to count towards fulfilling your major should be approved by your department before you leave.
  4. The work is acceptable for transfer only if it has earned a grade of at least C. (A grade of C- will not suffice.)

Amherst College courses are not normally discussed in term of credit hours. Students must earn at least fifteen semester hours of credit in liberal arts courses creditable at Amherst each semester they are away in order to keep up with others in their class. Students who attend a college on the quarter system will need forty-eight quarter hours of credit for the academic year to earn the equivalent of eight courses at Amherst.

Don't be misled by statements that three or four courses are a full load; it is the credit they carry that is determinant. If you have any questions about credit, contact the registrar.

Once you have selected courses please fill out the transfer credit Course Approval Form.