The online 2023 SURF Application opens on Tuesday, January 31, 2023
ALL APPLICANTS: Begin your application process in Workday: <<Job Code JR3550>> (will be posted when application goes live). Once you initiate the Workday application, you will be directed to proceed to complete the necessary forms linked the application.
Please upload documents in Workday (statement of interest, unofficial transcript).
Deadline for application is midnight on Monday, February 20, 2023.
Your application must appear in Workday to qualify for consideration to the SURF 2023 Program. Thank you!
SURF applications will be reviewed in late February/early March; e-mail notifications will be sent to selected and waitlisted candidates at the end of March/early April.
Please review the guidelines and instructions below carefully before completing the application.
You will need to prepare the following materials for your SURF application:
- Unofficial transcript (copy from Workday, pdf )
- Statement of interest (1 page double spaced, pdf) discussing your interest in research, your background conducting research, and how you think the SURF Program will help advance your academic or career goal. Previous research experience is not required.
- No Letter of Recommendation is requested at this time, only a name of a reference (preferably a member of AC Faculty).
You will also be asked to:
- List your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices for research areas. Click for the 2023 SURF faculty and research areas. *If you are only interested in one discipline (i.e. Computer Science), then you can select that three times.
- Please note that some areas of research receive many more applicants than we are able to place (placements are related to the number of mentors in each discipline). Note availability across disciplines for the 2023 SURF Session:
- Astronomy: 2
- Biology: 4
- Biochemistry & Biophysics: 6* (faculty overlap with other departments)
- Chemistry: 7
- Computer Science: 5
- Environmental Studies: 1
- Geology: 1
- Math & Statistics: 3
- Neuroscience: 2* (faculty overlap with other departments)
- Physics: 6
- Psychology: 2
- Can non-U.S. citizens/residents apply? Yes
- Can I apply to the program if I am not an Amherst College student? No
- Can a student submit an online application after the deadline? No
- I made a mistake on my application, can I resubmit? Usually yes. Please contact the SURF Program Coordinator for details.
- When are decisions made and how will I be notified? SURF applications will be reviewed in early March. Email notifications may be sent out as early as mid March/early April.
- What are the program dates? For 2023, the SURF program will run from Monday, June 12th - Friday, August 4th.