The online 2024 SURF Application opens on Tuesday, January 30, 2024
ALL APPLICANTS: Begin your application process in Workday: <<Job Code TBD>> (will be posted when application goes live). Once you initiate the Workday application, you will be directed to proceed to complete the necessary Google Form linked in the application.
Please upload documents via the Google Form which will be linked to the Workday job (statement of interest, unofficial transcript).
Deadline for application is midnight on Monday, February 19, 2024.
You must submit your application through Workday: <<Job Code TBD>> along with the linked Google Form as described above to be considered for the SURF 2024 Program. Thank you!
Answer: SURF applications will be reviewed in late February/early March; e-mail notifications will be sent to selected and waitlisted candidates at the end of March/early April.
Please review the guidelines and instructions below carefully before completing the application.
You will need to submit the following materials for your SURF application:
- Unofficial transcript (copy from Workday, pdf )
- Statement of interest (1 page double spaced, pdf) discussing your interest in research, your background conducting research, and how you think the SURF Program will help advance your academic or career goal. Previous research experience is not required.
- Please note: No Letter of Recommendation is requested at this time, only a name of a reference (preferably a member of AC Faculty).
You will also be asked to: (please note, this section will be updated in January of 2024)
- List your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices for research areas. Click for the 2024 SURF faculty and research areas. *If you are only interested in one discipline (i.e. Computer Science), then you can select that three times.
- Please note that some areas of research receive many more applicants than we are able to place (placements are related to the number of mentors in each discipline). Note availability across disciplines for the 2023 SURF Session:
- Astronomy: 2
- Biology: 4
- Biochemistry & Biophysics: 6* (faculty overlap with other departments)
- Chemistry: 9
- Computer Science: 4
- Environmental Studies: 1* (faculty overlaps with Biology)
- Geology: 2
- Neuroscience: 1* (faculty overlaps with Biology)
- Physics: 5
- Psychology: 4
- Can non-U.S. citizens/residents apply? Yes
- Can I apply to the program if I am not an Amherst College student? No
- Can a student submit an online application after the deadline? No
- I made a mistake on my application, can I resubmit? Usually yes. Please contact the SURF Program Coordinator for details.
- When are decisions made and how will I be notified? SURF applications will be reviewed in early March. Email notifications may be sent out as early as mid March/early April.
- What are the program dates? For 2024, the SURF program will run from Monday, June 10th - Friday, August 2nd.