Study Abroad

Finances on Study Abroad

Study abroad is rarely cost-prohibitive at Amherst College.  Students who receive institutional, state, and/or federal aid can transfer their aid package to a program approved by the College.  Students not on aid do not pay anything to Amherst for the semester or year they are abroad.  Please see relevant links below for more information:

Students not on Financial Aid

Students on Financial Aid

Other Funding for Study Abroad

Voluntary Withdrawal from Your Study Abroad Program

Students not on Financial Aid

Students who do not receive financial aid are responsible for all costs of their study abroad program, paying the program directly.

The college will not bill you for the semester(s) spent studying abroad, as long as the Confirmation to Study Abroad and Waiver of Liability Form has been submitted, informing the College which program(s) and semester(s) you will be on educational leave. This form should be submitted as soon as possible, but no later than the final day of classes of the semester previous to departure. (In some cases, students studying abroad in the fall or for the full year may not know which program they will study abroad with until the summer. In this case, please contact the Director of Education Abroad.)

Scholarships may reduce your total student loan amount and post-graduation debt and many programs have need and merit based awards.

Students on Financial Aid

Students on financial aid at Amherst may apply their aid to study abroad, but with provisions. Visit the Office of Financial Aid's website for information on how to transfer your financial aid package to any approved domestic institution or study abroad program. 

We do not recommend that students apply for financial aid from their study abroad program or outside scholarships without first checking with the Amherst Financial Aid office since outside aid might influence subsequent aid packages from the college.

The document below should be read and printed out prior to meeting with Dean Kate Gentile (x2296), the senior financial aid officer who works with students studying away at Amherst.

Financial Aid Checklist and Budget Sheet for Study Away.pdf

Other Funding for Study Abroad

It is possible to receive a scholarship from a program or an outside resource, but it requires a bit of research on your part. 

A growing number of study abroad programs have scholarships available to their students, and you'll need to check directly with the program if you will qualify.  Please note that if you are receiving aid from Amherst that is transferring to your study abroad program, receiving aid from the program may affect your Amherst aid.  Be sure to check with Dean Gentile before accepting additional aid from a study abroad program.

Please consult the list below, as well as  and for more resources on funding your study abroad experience.

The Association of Teachers of Japanese (ATJ) Bridging Scholarship program will award 50 scholarships to American students participating in study-abroad programs in Japan that began in Fall 2002. Please see the website for more information on for instructions on how to apply.

Boren Awards are grants given to U.S. undergraduate and graduate students interested in "less commonly taught" languages, geographic areas and fields of study.  All must be considered critical to U.S. interests and underrepresented in study abroad, which may change from year to year.  Awards are generous: up to $10,000 for a semester and up to $20,000 for an academic year.  All recipients are required to seek employment with a federal agency or office involved in national security affairs, but may be allowed to fulfill their service through work in higher education if a position is not available in government.  Deadlines are in late January.  Contact the Director of Education Abroad for more information (2265).

Critical Language Scholarships are sponsored by the United States Department of State, the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and are administered by the Council of American Overseas Research Centers(CAORC).  This program offers fully funded intensive language study over the summer in the following languages: Arabic, Bangla/Bengali, Hindi, Punjabi, Turkish and Urdu, Chinese, Korean, Persian, and Russian.  Applications are due in mid-November, please see website for details.

CIEE Scholarships and Travel Grants, fund the cost of airfare and can be used for study, work, volunteering, or research in less-traditional countries (i.e. excluding Western Europe , Australia , New Zealand , Canada ). Application deadlines are twice a year, typically in October and March or early April.

DAAD, The German Academic Exchange Service offers Undergraduate Awards to highly qualified undergraduate students for study abroad, university language or summer courses, senior thesis research and/or internships in the Federal Republic of Germany. Two types of awards are available:

  • Short-term awards for stays of two or three months in conjunction with German university language or summer courses, independent senior thesis research, or an internship at a German institution or firm.
  • Long-Term Awards for a Semester or Year Abroad for between four and ten months, either as part of an organized study abroad program, or as part of an individual, student-designed study abroad semester or year.

Middlebury College's Kathryn Davis Fellowships for Peace are offered for Middelbury's summer language schools based on the Vermont campus.  Known for their excellence in language instruction, Middlebury's language schools offer financial assistance through a generous donation from Kathryn Davis, an American philanthropist with a lifetime of international experiences.  Languages offered are Arabic, Chinese, Hebrew, Japanese, Portuguese and Russian.  Application deadline is in early February, but students are encouraged to submit their materials as soon as possible.

back to top

Voluntary Withdrawal from Your Study Abroad Program

Students who are considering an voluntary departure prior to the end of their study abroad program need to understand the serious credit and financial implications for voluntary withdrawal. Please read the policy and contact the Director of Education Abroad immediately.