The Office of Fellowships advises Amherst College students and alumni on a number of competitive awards that can be applied to a variety of academic and other goals. For sophomores, juniors, seniors, and alumni, we administer competitions for externally funded, nationally competitive awards that require institutional endorsement of applicants. These are referred to as National Fellowships and Scholarships. For seniors and recent alumni, we also administer the Amherst College Fellowships (internal awards that partially fund graduate study). The handouts below provide useful at-a-glance information for students, faculty, and staff:
- Fellowships at Amherst - some stats and stories about recent recipients
- Introduction to Fellowships – list of fellowships our office administers and how to make an appointment
- Inspired by Fellowships – an explanation of qualities foundations seek in candidates
- Reflection Questions for Personal Statements - lists of questions for reflection
- Writing Recommendations for Fellowships – suggestions for faculty, staff, and supervisors
The office is staffed by the Director of Fellowships, Christine Oversteet and Suzanne Spencer, Fellowships Assistant (part-time). We offer AC students and alums counseling on which grant opportunities fit you best; guidance on the application process; assistance in writing and revising your personal statements and project proposals; interview preparation; referrals to resources and information on major scholarships; and advice from past scholarship winners and finalists. Students and alums interested in meeting with us please Request an Appointment. This support is limited mainly to fellowships requiring institutional endorsement.
The Office of Fellowships is not a resource for summer grants, direct-apply scholarships (except the Gates Cambridge award), or paid internships. For those and other funding opportunities, please check with the Career Center, the Center for Community Engagement, and/or your academic department. To find other fellowships that may be of interest to you, explore this helpful database.