The online 2017 SURF Application is not yet open. Please check back in early January.
When are decisions made and how will I be notified?
Amherst's SURF Program includes Clare Boothe Luce, Hitchcock/Mofson, Albree, Sarles, and Dean of the Faculty funded Fellows. Students applying for any of these Fellowships use the online SURF application.
Please review the guidelines and instructions below carefully before completing the application.
You will need to prepare the following materials for your SURF application:
- Unofficial transcript (copy from AC Data, pdf )
- Statement of interest (1-2 pages double spaced, pdf) discussing your interest in research, your background conducting research, and how you think the SURF Program will help advance your academic or career goal. Previous research experience is not required.
You will also be also be asked to:
- list your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices for research areas. Please note that some areas of research (particularly neuroscience) receive many more applicants than we are able to place. Click here for the 2016 SURF faculty and research areas.
- provide contact information (name & email address) for an Amherst College professor, advisor, mentor, or laboratory instructor to support your application. When your application is submitted the person you have listed will receive an email with your name stating you have applied for the 2017 SURF program and has requested a recommendation. We strongly suggest you meet with this person to discuss your application before you submit your application.
- Can non-U.S. citizens/residents apply? Yes
- Can a student submit an online application after the deadline? No
- I made a mistake on my application, can I resubmit? Usually yes. Please contact the SURF Program Coordinator for details.
- Can my faculty recommender submit a recommendation after the deadline? Yes
- Will a recommendation received after the deadline impact my application? No
- When are decisions made and how will I be notified? The SURF review committee meets during spring break. Email notifications may be sent out as early as late March but more typically notifications are sent out mid-late April.
Please contact Maureen Manning, SURF Program Coordinator, x8328 or email: email@example.com