The online 2019 SURF Application is now closed.
The next application cycle will be held in January/February of 2020.
You can access the application through the application portal here, select the SURF program.
When are decisions made and how will I be notified?
Amherst's SURF Program includes Hitchcock/Mofson, Albree, Sarles, and Dean of the Faculty funded Fellows. Students applying for any of these Fellowships use the online SURF application.
Please review the guidelines and instructions below carefully before completing the application.
You will need to prepare the following materials for your SURF application:
- Unofficial transcript (copy from AC Data, pdf )
- Statement of interest (1-2 pages double spaced, pdf) discussing your interest in research, your background conducting research, and how you think the SURF Program will help advance your academic or career goal. Previous research experience is not required.
You will also be also be asked to:
- list your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices for research areas. Please note that some areas of research (particularly neuroscience) receive many more applicants than we are able to place. Click here for the 2019 SURF faculty and research areas.
- We strongly suggest you meet with participating faculty and instructional staff mentors to discuss your application before you submit your application.
- Can non-U.S. citizens/residents apply? Yes
- Can I apply to the program if I am not an Amherst College student? No
- Can a student submit an online application after the deadline? No
- I made a mistake on my application, can I resubmit? Usually yes. Please contact the SURF Program Coordinator for details.
- When are decisions made and how will I be notified? SURF applications will be reviewed in early March. Email notifications may be sent out as early as late March- early April.