Are you currently active in STEM at Amherst College and interested in the future of STEM at Amherst College and beyond? Do you enjoy planning academic and social events? If the answers are yes, please consider applying for the SURF Post-Bac position.
The 2019 SURF position application will open on Feb 25th.
This year the SURF Program will have one Post-Bac; there will be no research component to the position. The SURF Post-Bac Fellow will be responsible for communications, event planning, and leading social activities for the SURF summer program. Academic events include faculty talks, student Blitz presentations, an Ethics Luncheon, and a Lab Crawl. Social events include an ice-breaker gathering, hiking, movies, and more! The SURF Post-Bac will need to arrange events and activities on a few weekends and evenings. The SURF Post-Bac will help answer questions from SURF Fellows and serve as a liaison with program administrators during the course of the 8-10 week SURF program. The Post-bac will encourage SURF students to attend programmatic and social events coordinated with the SURF planning committee (Science Center, IT, Writing Center, Library, among others). Towards the close of the SURF program the Post-bac will help to administer assessment surveys and assist students with their posters for the annual Summer Research Poster Session on September 6th.
The Post-Bac will take appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participate in the College’s efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
- Start date: Monday May 27th
- Preferred end date: Friday September 6th. Ideally we prefer a 15-week commitment but we understand starting a new job may change availability.
Who is eligible to apply?
- Graduating seniors in any major with an interest in STEM are encouraged to apply. International students must contact The Center for International Student Engagement to discuss the required Optional Practical Training (OPT) work authorization.
Stipend and Housing
- The SURF & HSTEM Post-Bac will receive a weekly stipend of $550.00.
- Housing will be on campus with SURF students.
How do I apply?
You can apply through the Amherst online application portal here (look for the SURF Post-Bac Fellowship). You will need to supply a:
1) Personal statement describing your future career interest, previous academic experience related to STEM, and your experience related to organizing social events.
2) Unofficial academic transcript
3) Resume and one reference
When will I be notified?
- March 22, 2019
For additional information please contact:
SURF Program Coordinator: Jess Martin, firstname.lastname@example.org