Intensive Writing courses offer students an opportunity to practice college-level writing. While each has a different theme, the main topic of all Intensive Writing courses is writing itself. And don’t be intimidated by the intensive label: students do not need any experience in college-level writing to take these courses. Intensive Writing courses are designed as introductions to academic writing.
In an Intensive Writing course, students can expect to:
- Learn college-level reading strategies
- Work through multi-step writing processes,
- Develop audience awareness and better
understand genre expectations
- Practice writing arguments and analysis
- Do some research and/or refine citation skills
- Reflect on their identities as writers
- Consider ways to transfer lessons learned in
Intensive Writing into other course
Priority for enrollment usually goes to students who have been recommended for Intensive Writing after participating in the directed self-placement survey during new student orientation (beginning summer 2023). Students may also request the opportunity to take an Intensive Writing course if they are interested in improving their academic writing skills, and they are generally accommodated as space allows.