The Writing Center
Amherst College is a community of writers. Though conversations about our writing happen spontaneously all over campus, the Writing Center at Amherst College is designed to facilitate such conversations. Whether you are a student working on a paper for a class, a novelist giving a public reading of your most recent work, a professor seeking to design an effective writing assignment, we are eager to talk to you.
We offer a wide variety of services for students:
- Individual Appointments: One-on-one conversations about a specific writing project, including class assignments, honors theses, creative writing, and job/school applications; sustained instruction on different aspects of the writing process; ESL instruction; and writing counseling to address mental obstacles to effective writing.
- Writing Workshops: Group discussions of different aspects of the writing process
- Thesis Support: Guidance, support, and feedback throughout the research and writing process
And we also offer services for faculty:
- A seminar on the teaching of writing
- Conversations about different aspects of writing pedagogy
- In-class workshops designed to meet the writing needs of your students
Hours:Sunday: 9am-6pmMonday-Thursday: 9am-8pmFriday: 9am-5pm
We're located at 101 Charles Pratt Hall.
Phone: (413) 542-2139
Campus Mail: AC Box #2262