- Academic Support ServicesAcademic Support Services
The Writing Center
After May 15th, Writing Center staff are available by advance arrangement only. Read more about what we offer during the summer months.Find us on Facebook
or on Twitter @ACWritingCenter.
Amherst College is a community of writers. Though conversations about our writing happen spontaneously all over campus, the Writing Center at Amherst College is designed to facilitate such conversations. Whether you are a student working on a paper for a class, a novelist giving a public reading of your most recent work, or a professor seeking to design an effective writing assignment, we are eager to talk to you.
We offer a wide variety of services for students:
- Individual Appointments: One-on-one conversations about a specific writing project, including class assignments, honors theses, creative writing, and job/school applications; sustained instruction on different aspects of the writing process; ESL instruction; and writing counseling to address mental obstacles to effective writing.
- Writing Workshops: Group discussions of different aspects of the writing process
- Thesis Support: Guidance, support, and feedback throughout the research and writing process
And we also offer services for faculty:
- A seminar on the teaching of writing
- Conversations about different aspects of writing pedagogy
- In-class workshops designed to meet the writing needs of your students
We're located at 101 Charles Pratt Hall.
Phone: (413) 542-2139
Campus Mail: AC Box #2262