Amherst College is a community of writers. Though conversations about our writing happen spontaneously all over campus, the Writing Center at Amherst College is designed to facilitate such conversations. Whether you are a student working on a paper for a class, a novelist giving a public reading of your most recent work, or a professor seeking to design an effective writing assignment, we are eager to talk to you.
We offer a wide variety of services for students:
- Individual Appointments: One-on-one conversations about a specific writing project, including class assignments, honors theses, creative writing, and job/school applications; sustained instruction on different aspects of the writing process; ESL instruction; and writing counseling to address mental obstacles to effective writing.
- Writing Workshops: Group discussions of different aspects of the writing process
- Thesis Support: Guidance, support, and feedback throughout the research and writing process
And we also offer services for faculty:
- A seminar on the teaching of writing
- Conversations about different aspects of writing pedagogy
- In-class workshops designed to meet the writing needs of your students
View our appointment calendar to schedule an appointment with a writing associate.
See our staff directory to learn more about us.