Our professional associates are available for individual consultations to discuss approaches to assignment design, effective feedback and commenting, or any other aspect of writing and public speaking instruction. We offer a perspective on teaching that complements your disciplinary expertise and classroom experience. Faculty may contact an associate directly or email email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
Workshops for your Students
Writing Center workshops provide practical, hands-on exploration in your classroom. Writing workshops introduce aspects of the writing process, from idea generation to thesis development to revision. Public speaking workshops prepare your students to engage audiences with focus and confidence. Our associates design instruction aimed at meeting your specific pedagogical goals.
The Writing Center has designed pedagogy guides on facets of effective instruction in writing, reading, and public speaking. The pages introduce basic concepts in the topic, suggest ways of applying them in courses, and point to additional resources for further exploration.
First-Year Seminar Liaisons
As in the past, our liaison program offers first-year seminar faculty the support of a dedicated writing associate who can:
- introduce your students to the Writing Center,
- teach workshops on aspects of the writing process, facilitate peer-review workshops, lead discussions of effective reading practices, or arrange public speaking workshops
- serve as a sounding board or advisor to you as you plan your writing instruction, assignments, and approaches
For Fall 2020, we add to that list:
- facilitate small-group sessions for your students as they work through the writing process, or dedicated drop-in sessions for upcoming assignments
- support and facilitate individual goal-setting and accountability groups, a recommended practice for online learning.
If you are teaching a first-year seminar and would like to have a liaison assigned to your course, contact Jessica Kem
Summer Writing Retreat for Faculty and Staff
The Writing Center supports faculty and staff in their own writing projects by offering occasional writing retreats during academic breaks. Our retreats are designed to encourage a regular writing practice, to emphasize healthy and sustainable approaches to productive writing, and to support a community of writers at the College. Read more about our summer 2020 offerings.