All Writing Center appointments last 45 minutes and must be booked online (see below). Amherst College students, staff, and Faculty, as well as Five-College students writing for an Amherst College class, may meet with any member of the Writing Center staff.
- Be sure to bring
- A copy of the assignment (for a class assignment)
- Two copies of your draft (or notes, an outline, or even just some ideas in your head)
- Leave yourself plenty of time after your meeting to make revisions.
- choose the right appointment type when you sign up.
- sign up only for a time you are confident you can make.
- for writing instruction: bring in two recent, graded papers.
- for a draft longer than 8 pages: schedule two appointments and send your draft by email to the writing associate before the first appointment.
- for application essays: please observe a limit of 2-3 appointments per application.
If you need to cancel an appointment, please give us at least 24 hours of notice, in order to allow others access to your appointment hour. If you do not show up for an appointment or if you cancel your appointment at the last minute, your use of the Center may be restricted.
How are we doing? If you could not book an appointment at the Writing Center in time to meet your needs, please tell us about it.