The Writing Center is closed now and will reopen on September 6.
All Writing Center appointments last 45 minutes and must be booked in WCOnline (see below). Amherst College students, staff, and faculty, as well as Five-College students writing for an Amherst College class, may meet with any member of the Writing Center staff.
- Be sure to bring
- A copy of the assignment (for a class assignment)
- Two printed copies of your draft (if you have a draft; you may also bring notes, an outline, or even just some ideas in your head)
- Leave yourself plenty of time after your meeting to make revisions.
- sign up only for a time you are confident you can make.
- for writing instruction: bring in two recent, graded papers.
- for a draft longer than 8 pages: schedule two appointments and send your draft by email to the writing associate before the first appointment.
- for application essays: please observe our limit of 2-3 appointments.
If you need to cancel an appointment, please give us at least 24 hours of notice, in order to allow others access to your appointment hour. If you repeatedly miss appointments or cancel them at the last minute, your use of the Center may be restricted.
We have adopted a new scheduling program, WCOnline, and all new users will need to register using their Amherst College email address. Once you have completed the registration process, you may log in using your Amherst College login and password. If you have any issues with WCOnline, please contact Jessica Kem at email@example.com.
How are we doing? If you could not book an appointment at the Writing Center in time to meet your needs, please tell us about it.