The following web sites present relevant advice, examples, and instruction on a broad range of writing topics, from process to genre to mechanical. Each would be a good starting place for searching for specific guides or topics.
- Dartmouth University’s Institute for Writing and Rhetoric’s What is an Academic Paper? introduces students to the genre of the college essay and how argumentation works in it.
- Harvard College Writing Center Strategies for Essay Writing includes guides to various aspects of writing academic essays. It is process-oriented, meaning that it leads student writers through the steps of reading the assignment prompt, generating ideas, outlining, and so on.
- The Purdue University OWL (Online Writing Lab) includes detailed guides to citation styles, writing process strategies, academic genres, ESL resources, and job-search writing.
- The University of North Carolina's Writing Center Tips and Tools includes handouts and instructional videos on parts of the writing process, on writing in specific disciplines and genres, and on sentence-level and stylistic topics.
- The UW-Madison Writer's Handbook hosts a broad range of guides to aspects of the writing process, argumentation, and genres.