Looking for general resources on public speaking?
- Evaluating, Revising, and Formatting your Poster (Amherst College)
- Poster Presentations (U Wisconsin)
- A Guide to Designing a Poster (Rice Univ. Cain Project in Engineering and Professional Communication).
- Designing a STEM poster? Read up on "Ten Simple Rules for Better Figures" (PLoS Computational Biology, 2014)
Quick Talks: Lightning Talks, Ignite, Pecha Kucha
- Lightning talks are five-minute presentations on a focused topic, usually capturing a small chunk of a larger research project.
- Pecha Kucha and Ignite talks are similar: short talks with 20 slides timed to automatically advance.
- Pecha Kucha: Get to the Power Point in 20 Slides and Sit the Hell Down, Wired (2008)
- How to give a great Ignite Talk, Scott Berkun (2009)
- Designing an Effective PowerPoint Presentation: Quick Guide (Purdue OWL)
- Critics of the software's effect on discourse abound:
- Edward Tufte's The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint asserts that slideware often reduces the analytical quality of presentations. [AC Frost Stacks / P93.5 .T78 2003]
- In "Death by PowerPoint," Alexei Kapterev advocates for more thoughtful, meaningful presentations.
- The Takahashi Method is an alternative approach to PowerPoint which relies on minimalist, text-only slides.
- "Art of the Conference Paper" (Alessandro Angelini, Inside Higher Ed)
- "Conference Rules: Everything You Need to Know about Presenting a Scholarly Paper in Public" (Linda K. Kerber, American Historical Association)