- All About Amherst
- Amherst on the Road
- Apply to Amherst
- Contact Us
- Current Applicants
- Diversity Programs
- Financial Aid & Costs
- Join Our Mailing List
- Meet the Tour Guides
- Online Chats
- Telementoring Program
- Visit Amherst
Amherst seeks, above all, to enroll men and women of strong and vibrant intellectual promise who have the demonstrated qualities of mind and character that will enable them to thrive in our dynamic academic and social environment and to take full advantage of the remarkable resources our community offers. A successful Amherst student is someone who will embrace the academic freedom provided by our open curriculum, engage with our talented and accomplished professors, and contribute significantly to a student population whose diversity of both background and perspective fosters a process of mutual education within and beyond the classroom curriculum.
Students who are interested in applying to Amherst as transfer students should first be familiar with our available admission options, our application requirements, our deadlines, and our approach to reviewing and evaluating applications for admission. Keep reading.... It's all here!
Eligibility and Guidelines for Transfer Admission
You are eligible for transfer admission to Amherst if you have completed at least one year as a full-time student at a college or university. To be competitive, you should have at least a B+ average in your college courses. We do not accept applications from individuals who have already earned a bachelor's degree. Nor do we accept transfer applications from students who have completed college coursework as part of any program of early graduation from secondary school or other accelerated completion of secondary school. (Such students should apply as first-year applicants.)
For more important information on transfer eligibility and transfer of credit, please read our Transferring to Amherst information sheet.
Transfer Admission Options and Application Deadlines
Transfer applicants may apply for enrollment starting in either the fall or the spring semester.
- Transfer applications for spring enrollment must be submitted by the November 1 deadline; notice of our decision will be sent by late December.
- Transfer applications for fall enrollment must must be submitted by the March 1 deadline; notice of our decision will be sent by mid-May.
If accepted, you must respond to our offer immediately. Due to fluctuations in our transfer enrollment, accepted transfer candidates may not defer their enrollment.
Transfer Application Requirements
Required Application Materials Transfer applicants must submit the following materials by the appropriate deadline -- November 1 for spring enrollment or March 1 for fall enrollment:
- Common Application for Transfer Students (on-line submission only)
- Amherst College Transfer Supplement to the Common Application
- $60 Application Fee (non-refundable) or Fee Waiver (requested through Common App or Amherst's Quick Pass).
- College Registrar Report (including current courses in progress)
- College Transcript
- Two College Instructor Evaluations (referred to as "Academic Evaluator Recommendations" on the Common Application)
- Secondary School Transcript (We do not require the secondary school "Final Report")
- TOEFL, MELAB or IELTS Results (if needed for International Student Applicants)
Optional standardized testing results Standardized tests (SAT I, SAT II Subject Tests, ACT) are not required for transfer admission, but can be helpful. If you are currently a first-year student or sophomore in a four-year college or university and you enrolled immediately after secondary school, we recommend that you send the results of standardized testing, if those scores are not already included on your secondary school transcript.
Optional Application Materials Students with exceptional accomplishments in specific areas may wish to submit additional information for consideration. This optional material is neither required nor necessary and should be submitted only if the applicant has achieved at an exceptionally high level.
- Arts Students with exceptional accomplishments or talents in the arts may submit related material for review by Amherst faculty through SlideRoom, where you will find additional, Amherst-specific instructions for each category of submission (music, theater, dance, and visual art.) Please do not send originals to us, as we cannot return to you any material submitted.
- Research If you have engaged in significant research in the natural sciences, mathematics, computer science, social sciences or humanities - undertaken independently of the high school curriculum - you may include a brief description of your research project in the "Optional Research Questions" section of Amherst's Writing Supplement within the Common Application.
- Athletics Students who wish to participate in varsity athletics may indicate that interest in the appropriate section of the Common Application and may consult the About Amherst Athletics webpage for information about varsity teams and contact with athletic coaches.
Transfer Application Deadlines
Spring enrollment : November 1
Fall enrollment : March 1
Application Review and Evaluation
Amherst takes great care to review every application thoroughly. Each application is read by at least two admission deans before being presented to the Admission Committee for discussion. In evaluating your application, we pay closest attention to your:
- college and secondary school transcripts;
- instructor recommendations;
- quality of writing as demonstrated in your essays, writing supplement, and recommendations;
- extra- and co-curricular involvements, talents, and leadership.
We give the greatest weight to your academic transcript. The rigor of the courses you've taken, the quality of your grades and the consistency with which you've worked over give us the clearest indication of how well you will do at Amherst. Recommendations, the quality of your writing, and extra- and co-curricular accomplishments also help us draw fine distinctions among very talented applicants.
To begin an application Get started at the Common App Online.
Application materials for transfer admission for the Fall 2014 semester are currently available at Common App Online. Transfer applications for Spring 2015 or Fall 2015 enrollment will be available at Common App Online starting August 1, 2014. Please note that the Common Application is now a completely online system and will be available in electronic form only; paper versions will not be availalbe.
For important dates and deadlines: Click here.
Are you an international student? Be sure to check out our information pages for
international students applicants.